VisionScienceList: Retinal Microenvironment - Postdoc

From: Robert Linsenmeier (r-linsenmeier@nwu.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 15:14:20 PST

IN VIVO STUDIES OF THE MICROENVIRONMENT AND PHYSIOLOGY OF THE MAMMALIAN RETINA

Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Neurobiology and Physiology
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois

I am seeking a postdoctoral fellow or research associate (position
available March, 2000) to assist in the study of the microenvironment of
the mammalian retina, and the relation of the microenvironment to retinal
energy metabolism and retinal function. We are particularly interested in
the distribution of oxygen, pH, and glucose under normal conditions and
those that mimic disease. Much of the work involves electrophysiological
techniques, using oxygen and other microelectrodes in intraretinal
recordings in intact, anesthetized
animals. The electroretinogram is used as a measure of visual
function. The experiments are often followed by mathematical modeling to
extract quantitative information or to generate new predictions. Even
where modeling is not involved, our goal is to be quantitative. No
candidate is expected to have all the skills needed to do this work at the
outset, and an engineering background is not necessary.

Recent work has included investigations with oxygen electrodes of diabetic
retinopathy, hereditary photoreceptor degeneration, elevated blood glucose,
and vascular occlusion. We have also studied characteristics of the
electroretinogram during hypoxemia.

The lab is on the Evanston Campus of Northwestern University. The work has
been funded by NIH/NEI since 1983. Several other eye and vision research
labs are nearby (Professors John Troy, Matthew Glucksberg, Mark Johnson,
David Ferster, Mark Segraves), and we participate in the university-wide
Institute for Neuroscience (NUIN), making this a rich training
environment. Northwestern has an NIH/NEI training grant (Vijay Sarthy,
PI) jointly sponsored by Ophthalmology and several other departments,
including Biomedical Engineering and Neurobiology and Physiology.

More information is available on the Neuroscience Institute website:
http://www.nwu.edu/nuin/faculty/Linsenmeier_R_A/

Candidates may send a CV and list of references to Robert A. Linsenmeier,
Biomedical Engineering Department, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan
Rd., Evanston, IL, 60208-3107. Email inquiries are also encouraged.