VisionScienceList:

From: Dr. Maarten Kamermans (m.kamermans@ioi.knaw.nl)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 01:56:46 PST

Postdoctoral and graduate student positions available immediately

The department of "Retinal Signal Transduction and Information Processing"
of the Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute in Amsterdam in the
Netherlands studies the communication between neurons in the retina of the
goldfish and zebrafish. The research has a strong emphasis on the
functional consequences of retinal processing on for the visual system as a
whole. In the laboratory, electrophysiological (patch-clamp, intracellular
and multi-electrode), Ca-imaging, immunocytochemical, molecular biological
and behavioral techniques are used in combination with computer simulations.

Two new projects will be started:
1) Mechanisms of sustained synaptic transmission
This project aims to unravel the mechanisms of sustained synaptic
transmission in the cone/horizontal/bipolar cell synapse. In this project
we want to identify the key proteins involved in the synaptic machinery of
the cone photoreceptor. For this project we are looking for a postdoc with
a molecular biological background and a strong affinity for functional
studies. Furthermore, we are looking for a postdoc/graduate student with a
background in electrophysiology and/or fluorescent imaging. Her/his project
will deal with the relation between the Ca-current, the Ca-concentration
and the synaptic vesicle release by the cone photoreceptors.

2) Neural code for color at retinal ganglion cell level.
This project aims to unravel the neural code for color at ganglion cell
level. Our work in the outer retina predicts that groups of ganglion cells
behave color-constant whereas individual ganglion cells will not. The
scheme by which the ganglion cells will encode color and color-constancy
will be the main topic of this project. In this study we use
multi-electrode recording to study responses of ganglion cells due to
chromatic complex stimuli. For this project we are looking for a
postdoc/graduate student with a background in electrophysiology. Experience
with computer modelling and programming is a high recommendation.

For further information and applications:
Dr. Maarten Kamermans
Meibergdreef 15, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
phone: +31 20 566 5180
fax: +31 20 566 6121
email: m.kamermans@ioi.knaw.nl

Dr. Maarten Kamermans
The Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute
Meibergdreef 47
1105 BA Amsterdam
The Netherlands
phone: + 31 20 566 5180 or + 31 20 566 6101