VisionScienceList: Postdoctoral Position: Visual Motion Processing in Primate Retina

From: E.J. Chichilnisky (ej@salk.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 10:13:13 PDT

    Postdoctoral Position: Visual Motion Processing in Primate Retina

    A postdoctoral position is open immediately for studying visual
    motion processing in the primate retina at the Salk Insititute in La
    Jolla, California. We use multi-electrode recording to study visual
    signals encoded by dozens of simultaneously-recorded retinal ganglion
    cells in vitro and psychophysical methods to determine the role of
    these signalling patterns in visual perception. We seek a
    postdoctoral fellow interested in studying how visual motion signals
    are represented in populations of primate retinal ganglion cells,
    what algorithms must the brain use to extract visual motion
    information from them, how retinal motion signals constrain
    psychophysical motion sensing, and how color influences population
    motion signals in the retina. Our lab is currently the only one in
    the world investigating population coding of visual information in
    the primate retina. The Salk Institute and the San Diego community
    in general provide an outstanding environment for neuroscience
    research at all levels.

    The ideal candidate would be a recent Ph.D. with background in visual
    neuroscience and electrophysiology, significant programming skills,
    and familiarity with quantitative modeling. Applications should
    include a brief statement of research interests, recent CV, two
    sample manuscripts, and a list of three references with telephone
    numbers and email addresses. Salary level will be commensurate with
    experience.

    E.J. Chichilnisky
    The Salk Institute
    10010 N. Torrey Pines Road
    La Jolla, CA 92037 USA
    Email: ej@salk.edu
    Web: http://www.salk.edu/faculty/chichilnisky.html
    The Salk Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer