VisionScienceList: Research Associate Position

From: Craig Hawryshyn (chawrysh@uvic.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 13:01:50 PDT

    Research Associate Position

    Cellular Neurobiology / Computational Neuroscience / Neuroethology

    My group has an opening for a Research Associate to investigate retinal information processing in polarization vision and the characterization of interneuronal networks in rainbow trout. Rainbow trout, among other salmonid fishes, possess two-channel polarization vision (see references below). The focus of our new research direction is to examine how retinal neurons process polarization input (in collaboration with Dr. Maarten Kamermans, Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute). My lab utilizes a broad range of techniques and facilities include: CCD-based microspectrophotometry, fully operational molecular neuroscience lab with advanced image analysis (fluorescence and confocal microscopy), electrophysiology systems (extracellular, intracellular and whole cell patch clamp recording rigs), state of the art Aquatic Holding Facility, light measurement technology and behavioral orientation facility.

    We seek an individual; ideally with experience in eyecup intracellular and retinal slice whole cell patch clamp electrophysiology but general experience in these electrophysiological techniques will be considered. Additional experience with in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry would be desirable.

    Applicants should have Ph.D. in Neuroscience and preferably at least one year of postdoctoral experience. This is a three-year position with a salary of $52,000 CDN per year including a benefits package (the position is open as of Sept. 1, 2001). Please send applications via email (include a cover letter outlining relevant experience, curriculum vita, and names of three references):

    Craig W. Hawryshyn
    Professor of Sensory Biology
    University of Victoria
    PO Box 3020 Station CSC
    Victoria, British Columbia
    V8W 3N5 CANADA
    Tel - (250) 721-7142
    Fax - (250) 721-7120
    email - chawrysh@uvic.ca
    Website URL - http://web.uvic.ca/biology/people/hawryshy.html

    University of Victoria is located on Vancouver Island. Victoria and the surrounding area is remarkably beautiful coastal setting, perfectly suited for individuals who enjoy outdoor activities. Links of interest:

    http://www.bctravel.com/city1.html

    http://www.uvic.ca/victoria.html

    Selected references:

    Coughlin, D.J. and C.W. Hawryshyn. 1995. A cellular basis for polarized light vision in rainbow trout. J. Comp. Physiol. A 176: 261-272.

    Parkyn, D.C. and C.W. Hawryshyn, 2000. Physiological comparisons of spectral and polarization sensitivity among juvenile salmonidae. J. Exp. Biol. 203, 1173-1191.

    Hawryshyn, C.W. 2000. Ultraviolet polarization vision in fishes: possible mechanisms for coding e-vector. Proc. Trans. Roy. Soc. (Lond.) 335: 1187-1190.

    ---------
    About this list: http://www.visionscience.com/vsList.html