VisionScienceList: Hosp. Sick Chldrn. Toronto, Postdoc.

From: Carol Westall (carol@sickkids.ca)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 20:11:32 GMT

    Postdoctoral position in visual neuroscience

    HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN AND UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO.
    Brain & Behaviour/Research Institute and Department of Ophthalmology,
    Toronto, Canada

    A postdoctoral position in Visual Neuroscience is available immediately to
    work with the newly established Hospital for Sick Children Vision Research
    group under the direction of Carol Westall.

    Description of the Position:
    Research in our group investigates visual and retinal development using
    electrophysiological (evoked potential, electroretinogram) techniques. The
    projects involve a multidisciplinary team of scientists and physicians at
    the Hospital for Sick Children. Our research investigates developing visual
    functions when the visual system has been compromised pre-natally or
    post-natally. Current projects involve longitudinal assessment of retinal
    and visual electrophysiological responses in children with post-natal
    exposure to prescribed drugs which may cause visual toxicity in some cases
    (vigabatrin for seizure control) or chemotherapy (for tumor control). We
    also study visual system development in infants who have undergone
    pre-natal (maternal) exposure to toxic solvents or alcohol. We use visual
    evoked potentials (sweep VEP) to study contrast sensitivity and visual
    acuity, pattern onset VEPs (equiluminant colour) to assess development of
    L-M and S- colour mechanisms. We use electroretinography to investigate
    retinal function.

    For further information on research in the Westall lab please visit:
    http://www.sickkids.ca/research/profiles/westall.asp or email
    carol@sickkids.ca

    Qualifications:
    The applicant should have a strong background in pediatric visual
    electrophysiological recording or colour vison with a PhD in an area
    related to visual science. Applications from self-guided, motivated
    scientists are welcome.

    Salary:
    Commensurate with the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR).

    Please email CV and names of 3 referees to:
    Erin O'Hare
    The Hospital for Sick Children
    555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario
    M5G1X8
    Fax (416) 813-5671
    E-mail: hr.recruiter@sickkids.ca

    Must Quote File Number BB0110-EO

    Please include the names and contact information of three references with
    your cover letter and resume. We thank you in advance for your interest.
    Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.

    Carol Westall PhD
    Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
    University of Toronto and Hospital for Sick Children
    555 University Avenue, Toronto M5G 1X8
    (ph) 416-813-6516
    (FAX) 416-813-7661
    Email: Carol@sickkids.ca