[vslist] post-doc position, Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute

Sarah Pilkington sap at ski.org
Fri Mar 26 13:55:01 GMT 2004

Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
Postdoctoral position to study Vision for Action

A position is available to study how visual motion
information is transformed into commands to move the eyes
with an emphasis on perceptual and cognitive inputs. The
laboratory uses classical techniques of visual and
oculomotor psychophysics and contemporary techniques such
as fMRI to address these research questions. Our approach
is to apply simple paradigms that are specifically designed
to elucidate higher-level neural processes. Some examples
of our research projects include the consequences of motion
adaptation and the motion aftereffect on smooth pursuit,
and how attention is differentially allocated to features
during smooth pursuit of natural objects.

The laboratory is located at the Smith-Kettlewell Eye
Research Institute, a research organization where
investigators take a systems-level approach to
understanding visual perception and oculomotor control.
 Facilities include a a pair of dual Purkinje-image eye
trackers for binocular human eye movement recording and
new, state-of-the-art alert monkey recording rooms.
  Through the newly established Smith-Kettlewell Brain
Imaging Center, the candidate would have access to the full
range of MEG and fMRI scanning facilities at UCSF,
including new 3-Tesla and 7-Tesla magnets. Experience in
visual or oculomotor research and strong quantitative
skills are preferred. See our website at
http://www.ski.org/SJHeinen_lab/

Interested applicants should send a CV and names of 3
references to: Stephen J. Heinen, Ph.D. The
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute, San Francisco, CA,
94115, USA. Email: heinen at ski.org