[vslist] New book on Optic Flow

Scott Beardsley sbeardsl at bu.edu
Mon Apr 12 08:33:01 GMT 2004

Please post to the following announcement regarding publication of a new
book on optic flow.

Thanks,
Scott Beardsley

Optic Flow and Beyond

edited by

Lucia M. Vaina
Boston University, MA, USA

Scott A. Beardsley
Boston University, MA, USA

Simon K. Rushton
School of Psychology, Cardiff University, UK

Book Series: KLUWER ACADEMIC PUBLISHERS,  SYNTHESE LIBRARY : Volume 324

Optic flow provides all the information necessary to guide a walking
human or a mobile robot to its target. Over the past 50 years, a body of
research on optic flow spanning the disciplines of neurophysiology,
psychophysics, experimental psychology, brain imaging and computational
modelling has accumulated. Today, when we survey the field, we find
independent lines of research have now converged and many arguments have
been resolved; simultaneously the underpinning assumptions of flow
theory are being questioned and alternative accounts of the visual
guidance of locomotion proposed. At this critical juncture, this volume
offers a timely review of what has been learnt and pointers to where the
field is going.

Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht
Hardbound, ISBN 1-4020-2091-0
April 2004,  528 pp.