[vslist] good plotting program?--MATLAB?

Denis Pelli denis.pelli at verizon.net
Tue Jul 27 08:41:29 GMT 2004

dear mickey

i find that it's very easy to create an initial graph in MATLAB, but
that graph is rough and hard to improve. i've always given up before
reaching anything like what i consider publication quality. (I have
published a few MATLAB graphs, and i'm embarrassed by how rough they
look.) Note, however, that my experience is with MATLAB 5. I am just
about to install MATLAB 7 and i don't know whether things have
improved.

I like the graphical user interface of kaleidagraph in which you can
click on and tweak nearly everything, visually. it's a fast way of
achieving a good graph.  i recognize the value, in principle, of having
an alternate programmatic interface (as in Mathematica, Igor, and
MATLAB), for occasions when you'll be producing many similar graphs,
but i've had surprisingly little need for that in my work.

many people seem to use one program to create the graph, and another to
tweak it. E.g. Mathematica-Illustrator; Mathematica-PowerPoint;
Excel-Canvas.  i don't like that approach as i find that my graphs go
through many drafts in which we add a bit of data or change the model
slightly, and all the tweaking is lost every time you recreate the
graph.

best

denis