[vslist] Results of dominant wavelength/excitation purity help request

Jesus Malo Jesus.Malo at uv.es
Wed Nov 17 08:50:00 GMT 2004

Our answer to the dominant wavelength problem is much simpler than
those I read in the list:

   Please just use coor2lp.m in COLORLAB:
   A free easy-to-use and comprehensive color processing toolbox
   for Matlab 5.X or higher!.

   You can dowload it from the software icon in:

         http://www.uv.es/vista/vistavalencia

   You can also download a complete user guide for your convenience!

In fact, coor2lp.m applies some of the ideas posted by different people
in the list but in a more general way, i.e. in *any* tristimulus space,
not just CIE XYZ!

Here you have a brief description of what COLORLAB is
(visit the web page above for more details):

COLORLAB is a high-performance color computation and visualization toolbox to
be used in the MATLAB environment. COLORLAB is intended to deal with color in
general-purpose quantitative colorimetric applications as color image
processing and psychophysical experimentation.
COLORLAB uses colorimetrically meaningful representations of color and color
images (tristimulus values, chromatic coordinates and luminance, or, dominant
wavelength, purity and luminance), in any primaries system. COLORLAB relates
these colorimetric representations to the usual device-dependent discrete-
color representation, i.e. it solves the problem of displaying a
colorimetrically specified scene in the monitor within the accuracy of the
VGA.

A number of interesting color representations are also provided, as CIE
uniform color spaces (as L*a*b* and L*u*v*), opponent color representations
based on advanced color vision models, and color appearance representations
(RLab, LLab, SVF and CIECAMs). All these representations are invertible, so
the result of image processing made in these colorimetrically meaningful
representations can always be inverted back to the tristimulus representation
at hand, and be displayed.
COLORLAB includes useful visualization routines to represent colors in the
tristimulus space or in the chromatic diagram of any color basis, as well as
an advanced vector quantization scheme for color palette design.
An extensive color data base is also included, with the CIE 1931 color
matching functions, reflectance data of 1250 chips from the Munsell Book of
Color, McAdam ellipses, normalized spectra of a number of standard CIE
illuminants, matrices to change to a number of tristimulus representations,
and calibration data of an ordinary CRT monitor.

This Toolbox was developed by Jesús Malo and Mª José Luque from the Vision
Science Group of the Dept.of Optics, at the School of Physics, Universitat de
València (Spain). The current educational and research interests of this group
include different aspects of color science such as color image compression,
numerical models of human color vision.

--
TAUTOLOGIES OF THE DAY:
Zapatero = Kerry, PSOE = Democrats,

********************************
Jesus Malo, PhD in Physics

Associate Prof. at Dept. d'Optica,
Facultat de Fisica, Universitat de Valencia
Dr. Moliner 50, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia,
SPAIN

e-mail: jesus.malo at uv.es
www:    http://www.uv.es/vista/vistavalencia
tel office:   (34) 963 544 717