[visionlist] fMRI postdoc conscious 3D vision UTRECHT

Raymond van Ee r.vanee at phys.uu.nl
Thu Nov 10 00:41:06 GMT 2005

We have a postdoc job opening (1 yr, with possible extension to 2 or
more yrs) on Conscious Depth Perception and Awareness using fMRI,
available immediately.

At the upcoming NeuroScience Conference (Nov 12-16 Washington) you
can learn more by visiting our poster (G.J. Brouwer, F. Tong, J.
Schwarzbach & R. van Ee, entitled "Voluntary control over perceptual
changes during bistable Structure-from-Motion, revealed by fMRI"), to
be presented on Monday, Nov.14, 8-9AM (390.17).
Also, other related fMRI work came out today in The Journal of
NeuroScience: http://www.jneurosci.org/current.shtml (Vol 25:
10403-13); btw, check out the cover.

The work will be part of a project with the NeuroPhysiology group of
Dr. van Wezel with whom we examine single cell activity.

WE ASK:
Applicants should have hands-on experience and publications in the
field of fMRI and a PhD in the field of Vision Science (including
Psychology), Physics, Biology or Neuroscience. Programming the visual
stimuli is a major part of the work so it is important that the
applicant has experience in (and finds pleasure in) programming
computer code (we use OpenGl, Matlab, Mathematica, C). And it is
important that the applicant understands that real insight in how the
brain works is not possible without a model of underlying mechanisms.
In addition, creativity is important. Although we have an inspiring
team and although we share and discuss our findings, the applicant
should be able to work independently in programming, creating ideas,
in running subjects, and in modeling the data. For the imaging
experiments we require that applicants have hands on experience with
designing and analyzing such experiments using platforms such as SPM
and/or BrainVoyager.

The imaging experiments could be carried out at both the F.C. Donders
Center for Cognitive Neuroimaging and Utrecht University. Our
laboratory is equipped with a large field projection system,
eye-tracking devices and state-of-the-art computers. On a daily basis
you will be working in a group consisting of three full Profs; 2
tenure track Profs; 2 post-docs and 10 graduate students. There are
several international collaborations going on. Our group is part of
the Helmholtz Institute which combines internationally acknowledged
research groups, concepts and methods in neurophysiology, biophysics,
psychophysics and psychology. We offer an excellent training in all
areas of vision science, including perception and action, material
perception, stereo-motion interaction, and conscious vision. Utrecht
is a beautiful, vibrant and historic city. It is very close to
Amsterdam. Salary is competitive (depending on qualifications and
experiences). The yearly salary is supplemented by an annual holiday
bonus of 8% and allowance to compensate costs of private
health-insurance.

Address:
Applicants are invited to send (preferably by email) their CV,
publication list, list of notes for University courses, and names of
2 references to:
r.vanee at phys.uu.nl
or Dr. R. van Ee, Helmholtz Institute, Utrecht University,
PrincetonPlein 5, 3584 CC Utrecht, The Netherlands
More info:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~vanee
and also
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~wwwfm for our Helmholtz Institute