[visionlist] Vision PhD Studentship, St. Andrews

Julie Harris jh81 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 09:41:20 GMT 2006

EPSRC Funded PhD Studentship in Binocular Vision 2006

Applications are invited for a 3-year research studentship to study
human binocular vision,
leading to the degree of PhD.

Because we have forward facing eyes separated by just a few
centimetres, each eye delivers
slightly different information to the brain about the location of
objects.  The tiny differences
between right and left eye views provide the brain with information
about three dimensional (3-D)
structure and depth. This studentship forms part of an EPSRC funded
research project, held by
Prof. Julie Harris, to study how the binocular visual information
from the two eyes is used to
perceive three dimensional motion.

The studentship will be based at the University of St. Andrews, in a
lively and vibrant research
environment.  We have a small but active Vision Lab comprising
postgraduate students,
postdoctoral researchers and permanent academic staff.  We work
within the wider context of the
Perception and Performance Group in one of the top School's of
Psychology in the UK.

Start date is the end of September 2006.

Candidates should hold (or expect to hold) a good Honours degree (at
least 2.1) in a relevant
discipline (including Bioengineering, Computer Science, Mathematics,
Optometry, Physics,
Physiology, Psychology). They should have an interest in learning
visual psychophysical and
modelling techniques. Mathematical skills, including computer
programming experience, are
desirable.  The student will be expected to learn programming and
update their mathematical
skills if necessary.

Informal enquires to Dr. Julie Harris by email: Julie.Harris at st-andrews.ac.uk

Applications are encouraged as soon as possible, but by 10th February
2006 at the latest.

Further details available at:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/%7Ejh81/phdad06.html

Julie M. Harris
Prof. of Psychology and EPSRC Advanced Fellow
St. Andrews Vision Lab
School of Psychology
University of St. Andrews
St. Mary's College