[visionlist] geometrically ambiguous images

Lewis Griffin l.griffin at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 17:45:10 GMT 2006

There is a sculpture by Anish Kapoor, exhibited at the Hayward Gallery in
London last decade, which provokes a tri-stable perception.

>From memory, the sculpture is of a large (1m+) smooth greyish boulder, with
a roughly hemispherical hole (30cm diameter) excavated into it. The interior
of the hole has been meticulously painted with light-grey pigments of
varying lightness. Three percepts are possible:

	As a light-grey painted patch on the boulder's surface
	As a translucent window into the boulder's interior, which is lit.
	As a hole.

Lewis Griffin

Computer Science
University College London
UK

>I wonder if you may be able to help me with a brief query. I am a PhD
>student in the History and Philosophy of Science Department at
>Cambridge University. I have recently become interested in the Necker
>Cube as it provides an interesting analogy for certain cases in
>philosophy. I am trying to find out two things with respect to the Necker
Cube: