[visionlist] International Workshop on Biologically Inspired Information Fusion

P.Sowden at surrey.ac.uk P.Sowden at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Mar 16 16:35:23 GMT 2006

> ==============================
>
> International Workshop on Biologically Inspired Information
> Fusion Call for Contributions
> Tuesday 22 August - Wednesday 23 August 2006, University of
> Surrey, Guildford, UK.
>
> http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/ias/workshops/biif/

> ==============================
>
> We invite contributions to an international workshop on
> biologically inspired information fusion.  The workshop is
> designed to bring together complementary researchers in the
> broad areas of computer science, engineering, psychology and
> biology who have an interest in the multi-disciplinary
> aspects of information fusion.
>
> The programme consists of tutorials from discipline leaders,
> discussions, and research student poster and oral
> presentations.  Contributions are being sought  for the
> discussion sessions and research student presentations from
> all of the target disciplines: computer science, engineering,
> psychology and biology.

> ==============================
>
> Natural and Artificial Multi-sensory Processing
>
> The ability to process, interpret and act upon sensory
> information is perhaps one of the most remarkable aspects of
> human and animal cognition.  Our sensory  systems process
> large volumes of information at different scales in short
> periods of time, far out-performing current artificial
> systems, which struggle to usefully process just a single
> modality of information.  For example, whereas speech
> recognition systems have achieved real-time continuous
> operation, artificial systems, designed for vision or
> olfaction are far less advanced, yet the combination of
> different information sources, or senses, may help  overcome
> some of the processing limitations.  This disparity between
> natural and artificial cognitive systems has been recognised
> in the recent UK Foresight  Cognitive Systems Review, which
> suggests that our understanding of both natural and
> artificial systems of sensory processing can be achieved
> through  collaboration between life and physical scientists.
>
> About the Workshop
>
> The workshop is sponsored by the University of Surrey's
> Institute of Advanced Studies.  The aim is to promote
> collaboration between disciplines to develop an
> understanding of how to build adaptive information fusion
> systems by improving our knowledge from both natural and
> artificial systems research.  The programme is designed to
> facilitate a cross-discipline understanding of multi-sensory
> fusion, with discussions on key topics and future directions,
> and presentation of current ideas.  This is to be achieved
> through tutorials from leaders in each of the target
> disciplines, brainstorming and debate sessions lead by
> relevant researchers, and both oral and poster presentations
> from research students.
>
> Example topics include, but are not limited to:
>
> Sensory and multi-sensory processing: neurobiology,
> [...]
6-0,00.html.

Papers should be submitted via e-mail to biif2006 at surrey.ac.uk by the
deadline.

====================

Enquiries regarding abstract and paper submission should be directed to
biif2006 at surrey.ac.uk.

Abstracts and papers will be available to workshop attendees via the
website and printed proceedings.  After the workshop, participants will
be invited to submit papers based upon their work to two journal special
issues (journals to be confirmed).  These will contain a  mixture of
review/discussion articles and presentations of current research work.

====================

Important Dates

15 May 2006 Deadline for submitting papers and discussion topics 19 June
2006 Notification of acceptance 17 July 2006 Camera ready papers 22-23
August 2006 Workshop at the University of Surrey

Guests looking for accommodation on campus (the cheapest in Guildford)
are advised to register by the 15th May 2006.   Otherwise, registration
is open up until the workshop.  For papers to be presented at the
workshop, all guests must be registered by the 17th July 2006 to  secure
a place on the programme.

Further information can be obtained from:
- Website: http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/ias/workshops/biif/
- Enquiries about paper submission: biif2006 at surrey.ac.uk
- General and administrative enquiries: Mrs Gautier O'Shea,
S.Gautier at surrey.ac.uk; Mrs Heather Norman, H.Norman at surrey.ac.uk
- Dr Matthew Casey, M.Casey at surrey.ac.uk; tel. +44 (0)1483 689635
- Dr Paul Sowden, P.Sowden at surrey.ac.uk
- Dr Hujun Yin, Hujun.Yin at manchester.ac.uk