[visionlist] The IPRIZE - A Grand Challenge for Human Computer Interaction

derrick derrick at iastate.edu
Tue Apr 4 00:36:35 GMT 2006

 Eye tracking is a viable next-generation human computer interface. For
individuals with significant motor disabilities, eye-tracking interfaces
represent one of the few or only ways to communicate effectively.
Unfortunately, current eye-tracking systems are expensive ($10,000 or more),
invasive, inflexible, cumbersome and frustrating to use. Moreover,
improvements in commercial eye tracking technology over the last 30 years have
been only incremental.

 A revolution in eye tracking will be required in order to make eye tracking
the next ubiquitous human computer interface. Factors of 10 improvement are
needed in the price, intrusiveness, robustness, speed, and accuracy of eye-
tracking systems. A high-quality low-cost eye-tracking solution is needed.

 At the 2006 ACM Eye Tracking Research and Applications (ETRA) symposium last
week, I announced the IPRIZE, a $1,000,000 Grand Challenge designed to spark
advances in eye-tracking technology through competition. Repeatedly,
throughout history, such Grand Challenges have lead to radical innovations
that overcome significant technical and economic barriers. The IPRIZE
competition will focus the efforts of scientific, engineering and
entrepreneurial communities on high-quality low-cost eye-tracking.

 We are looking to raise a total of $1,000,000 for the IPRIZE Grand Challenge,
and are already off to a good start with the generous commitment of $100,000
by Hawk Laboratories. Because a low-cost solution for gaze-based communication
has the potential to significantly enhance quality of life for millions of
disabled individuals, we will be looking towards charitable organizations and
private donors to fund what remains.

 At this point, we are looking for support from this community that eye
tracking represents an important problem and that the IPRIZE competition is a
valuable way to solve it. Please take just a second and visit the IPRIZE
website to learn more:
http://hcvl.hci.iastate.edu/IPRIZE
and to express your support for the competition:
http://hcvl.hci.iastate.edu/IPRIZE/index.cgi?support

 An advisory committee is now being formed and I am looking for committed
individuals willing to participate in fund raising and willing to help
formulate the competition rules. The current advisory committee consists of a
broad range of scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs:
http://hcvl.hci.iastate.edu/IPRIZE/index.cgi?advisory
Funds have been obtained to hold a workshop in the Fall of 2006 for committee
members to meet and organize the competition.

 Please forward this notice onto anyone who might be interested in
participating in the IPRIZE competition.

Thank you very much for your support,
Derrick Parkhurst
---
Derrick Parkhurst, PhD