[visionlist] Opportunities for vision scientists: St. Andrews

Julie M. Harris Julie.Harris at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon May 1 09:11:17 GMT 2006

UPCOMING OPPORTUNITIES FOR VISION SCIENTISTS
SCHOOL OF PSYCHOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF ST. ANDREWS

St. Andrews, founded in 1413, is the oldest University in Scotland, located on
the east coast, north of Edinburgh.  The School of Psychology is one of the
best in the UK (maximum 5* rating at last RAE), and hosts a highly active and
successful Perception and Performance group (Foldiak, Harris, Hibbard,
Jentzsch, Perrett).  We will soon have opportunities at several levels (summer
06 deadlines, appointment 06-07).  For further details, contact one of the
group or speak to Julie Harris or Paul Hibbard at the VSS meeting, or email:
jh81 at st-andrews.ac.uk, pbh2 at st-andrews.ac.uk .

See:  http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/psychology/research/perception/index.shtml

(1)	Full time permanent academic position.

This is an open call for a permanent member of staff in any area of psychology
to complement our current groups with the School.  We anticipate possible
appointment at any level, according to interests and experience (Lecturer,
Reader or Professor).

(2)	RCUK Fellowship in Perception

Aimed at the very best early career scientists with around 0-2 years
postdoctoral experience.  Fellowships are for 5 years, leading to a permanent
academic period at the end of that time.  Holders develop their own research
program, with 2 years dedicated to research, and a small teaching load phased
in over the remaining period.  Applicants should demonstrate evidence of
independent academic research and have a clear plan for the future that
complements the research programs of our Perception and Performance team.

(3) EPSRC Doctoral Training Grant (DTG) Studentships

3-4 year studentships for PhD training, to start in October 2006. Projects are
available for supervision in: computational and psychophysical approaches to
visual depth perception, assessment of computer facilitated social interaction
in dementia, computer graphics applications to face perception, and modelling
of sensory, cognitive or memory systems and behaviour. Eligibility: applicants
require keen interest in psychological processes and a good first degree
(minimum 2:1 or equivalent). Programming skills and/or mathematical aptitude is
necessary for most projects. Applicants must be a British or EU citizen resident
in the UK for three years prior to appointment.  Closing date: 31 May 2006

Julie M. Harris
Professor of Psychology
School of Psychology
University of St. Andrews