[visionlist] Update - Accurate timing of projected images

vincent ferrera vpf3 at columbia.edu
Wed Jun 28 17:32:10 GMT 2006

For LCDs it is possible to get reliable timing.  The key is to send a
video signal at the native framerate and resolution of the monitor.  If
you send a signal that does not match the display's native
characteristics, then the DSP circuitry will resample the input and this
could introduce variable delays.

I've used a CRS VSG system with an NEC2010X flat panel and an EPSON
EMP9100 projector.  Both have native resolution of 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz.
The VSG allows you to fiddle with the timing parameters of the video
signal.  I've found that I can tweak the timing so that I get perfectly
smooth motion, i.e. no dropped frames.  There is still a delay between
the VSYNC signal and the actual appearance of the stimulus.  This can be
measured using a photometer.  I've found it to be 34 ms on both
displays, and it is consistent from trial-to-trial.

vf