[visionlist] fMRI grad student Visual Awareness UTRECHT

Raymond van Ee r.vanee at phys.uu.nl
Tue Sep 5 12:56:06 GMT 2006

We have a job opening for a graduate student (4 yr) on Brain reading
of Conscious Depth Perception and Awareness using the combination of
fMRI and psychophysics, available immediately.
WE ASK:
Applicants MUST have
1) hands-on experience with either fMRI or psychophysics;
2) an MS degree in the field of Vision Science (including Psychology,
Physics, Biology or Neuroscience).

Programming the visual stimuli is a major part of the work so it is
important that the applicant has experience in (and finds pleasure
in) programming computer code (we use OpenGl, Matlab, Mathematica,
C). And it is important that the applicant understands that real
insight in how the brain works, is not possible without a model of
underlying mechanisms. In addition, creativity is important. Although
we have an inspiring team and although we share and discuss our
findings, the applicant should be able to work independently in
programming, creating ideas, in running subjects, and in modeling the
data. For the imaging experiments we require that applicants have
hands on experience with designing and analyzing such experiments
using platforms such as SPM and/or BrainVoyager.

The imaging experiments could be carried out at both the F.C. Donders
Center for Cognitive Neuroimaging and Utrecht University. Our
laboratory is equipped with a large field projection system,
eye-tracking devices and state-of-the-art computers. On a daily basis
you will be working in a group consisting of three full Profs; 2
tenure track Profs; 2 post-docs and 10 graduate students. There are
several international collaborations going on. Our group is part of
the Helmholtz Institute which combines internationally acknowledged
research groups, concepts and methods in neurophysiology, biophysics,
psychophysics and psychology. We offer an excellent training in all
areas of vision science, including perception and action, material
perception, stereo-motion interaction, and conscious vision. Utrecht
is a beautiful, vibrant and historic city. It is very close to
Amsterdam. Salary is competitive (depending on qualifications and
experiences). The yearly salary is supplemented by an annual holiday
bonus of 8% and allowance to compensate costs of private
health-insurance.

Address:
Applicants are invited to send (preferably by email) their CV,
publication list, list of notes for University courses, and names of
2 references to:
r.vanee at phys.uu.nl
or Dr. R. van Ee, Helmholtz Institute, Utrecht University,
PrincetonPlein 5, 3584 CC Utrecht, The Netherlands
More info:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~vanee
and also
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~wwwfm for our Helmholtz Institute