[visionlist] PhD studentship at the Applied Cognitive Research Unit

Sebastian Pannasch pannasch at psy2.psych.tu-dresden.de
Wed Sep 20 14:54:09 GMT 2006

PhD studentship for an EU funded interdisciplinary project on understanding and
interpreting subjective visual perception (PERCEPT)

Project abstract
----------------

PERCEPT pioneers an approach for explicating a person´s subjective interpretation
of visual material. This will be achieved through the rendering of "Interpretation
Maps" (IM) -- visualisations of a person´s emotional and attentional states coupled
with gaze direction and on-line scene analysis. Attention and emotions will be
measured using neurophysiological (fMRI, NIRS, EEG/ERP, MEG) and behavioural
methods (eye-tracking, recognition of emotion in speech and facial expression). We
will introduce new techniques of high temporal resolution (such as eye-fixation-
based methods of EFRP and FIBER) to allow free visual exploration and in order to
facilitate working with individual subjects. One exemplary problem is the treatment
of fixations as indices of attention. We resolve this by selectively linking behavioural
analysis to activities of the dorsal and ventral brain pathways. The ventral pathway is
hypothesized to drive "attentive fixations" which we consider relevant for IM.
Moreover, automated on-line analysis of textures and material will allow us to couple
attention and emotion to objects rather than to isolated spatial locations. We will
demonstrate PERCEPT´s principles with masterpieces of European art and
scientific images. We will also begin to explore the application of IM in medicine,
education, geosciences, human-machine interfaces, industrial design and product
evaluation.

Position at the Applied Cognitive Research Unit,
Technische Universität Dresden, Germany
http://tu-dresden.de/

This research will focus on eye tracking experiments with picture inspection tasks,
studies combining eye movement analyses with neurophysiological methods.
Candidates are expected to have knowledge of and interest in cognitive
psychophysiology, perception and psychophysics, as well as basic skills in
registration of physiological data and statistics. Additionally, experience with
programming (MATLAB, Delphi) and experimental design are desirable, but not
essential.
Applicants for the position should have a Masters, Diploma or equivalent degree in
psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience, or related areas.

Applications, including CV and references, should be sent via email to
liebers at psychomail.tu-dresden.de. The deadline for applications is midnight CEST
on 20 November 2006, but later applications may be considered.

Duration and salary
The position lasts for three years and is available from 1 March 2007. Applicants
should ideally be available from this date, though applicants who require a later start
date may also be considered.

The salary will be based on the German public service BAT IIa /2 payscale (around
12,000 EUR per annum, the exact amount depending on age and marital status).