[visionlist] Re: Iceberg effect

Maxim Volgushev maxim at neurop.rub.de
Thu Jan 18 17:20:28 GMT 2007

Dear David,

in my hands, ideas of shaping RF properties in the visual cortex by
firing threshold
can be traced back to early intracellular recordings by Otto
Creutzfeldts' group:

Creutzfeldt, Ito - EBR 1968 6:324
"Small excitatory reactions below or near threshold or inhibitions
against a low spomtaneous
spike activity could often not be made visible with post-stimulus
histograms, which only gave
a vague impression of the actual subthreshold excitatory or inhibitory
response.
This could be made visible only with averaged analogue records."  (p. 329)

"The total receptive fields of cortical neurons as determined by the
post-synaptic polarization
or depolarization were therefore all above 4-5°. If only the output of
the cells (spike discharges) would
be used for determination of the receptive field, smaller fields
resulted." (p. 345)

Benevento, Creutzfeldt, Kuhnt - Nature 1972 238:124
" It is posssible that the suprathreshold excitatory response of a
cortical cell to orientation
and direction is due partly to thalamic excitation which is governed by
intracortical inhibition.
... cortical cells or columns with different orientation and direction
sensitivities inhibit each other,
resulting in a restricted suprathreshold orientation or direction
sensitivity. " (p. 126)

"... intracortical inhibition which shapes the suprathreshold trigger
feature properties of cortical neurons"
(p. 126).

"Iceberg effect"
With respect to orientation tuning, probably Florentin Woergoetter and
Christof Koch
(JNeurosci 1991, 11:1959) were the first who used this term:
"... (the effect called "iceberging")..."  (p. 1971).
I can imagine, that in modelling literature it may have being used
earlier - as a very
natural consequence of integrate-and-fire operation/model.

We have used the term ("tip of the iceberg" effect)
only some years later, in 1996 (Vidyasagar, Pei, Volgushev, TINS 1976,
19:272).

Cheers
Maxim