[visionlist] PostDoc, UT Austin

Max Snodderly max.snodderly at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 20 23:35:35 GMT 2007

Please post

Postdoctoral Position:  Macular Pigment and Visual Function, University of
Texas, Austin

A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Professor Max
Snodderly at the University of Texas, Austin, to study the effects of
macular pigment on visual function.  We are optimizing measurements of
macular pigment so that they can be made with a wide variety of subjects.
We are also studying how the visual system compensates for the presence of
macular pigment and whether this compensation is affected by age.  Other,
related projects are also possible.  There are opportunities for mentoring
undergraduate and graduate students as part of the training.  This research
is motivated in part by the possibility that macular pigment helps to
protect against age-related macular degeneration.  For representative
publications, see http://www.he.utexas.edu/ntr/snodderly.php.  I am also a
member of the Institute for Neuroscience
(http://www.utexas.edu/neuroscience/index.html), and the Center for
Perceptual Systems (http://www.cps.utexas.edu), which include outstanding
faculty from multiple departments that are sources of opportunities for
interdisciplinary collaboration.  The diversity of activities at UT Austin
is both fascinating and stimulating.  As a town, Austin is a fun place to
live, and I have yet to meet anybody here that doesn't like it.

To apply or inquire, please send a curriculum vitae, statement of research
interests, and other pertinent information by email.  I will be at ARVO and
VSS with my cell phone (512-922-8777) if you would like to speak with me
about the position.