[visionlist] Re: CVNet - psychedelic effects on perception?

Larry Baitch lbaitch at amvtlaser.com
Wed Apr 25 01:55:04 GMT 2007

It's not a MAJOR hallucinogen, but my empirical research at ARVO in
years 1982-1987 suggest the following papers by Tony Adams and Mert Flom
on marijuana:

Psychopharmacology (Berl). <javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour',
'Psychopharmacology (Berl).');> 1978 Jan 31;56(1):81-6. 	Related
Articles,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=pubmed_Abstract&db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=415330>
Links <javascript:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu415330);>

    *Marijuana, alcohol, and combined drug effects on the time course of
    glare recovery.*

    *Adams AJ*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Adams+AJ%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Brown B*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Brown+B%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Haegerstrom-Portnoy G*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Haegerstrom%2DPortnoy+G%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Flom MC*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Flom+MC%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Jones RT*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Jones+RT%22%5BAuthor%5D>.

    The time course of light adaptation after intense light exposure is
    significantly delayed by alcohol, marijuana, and a combined dose of
    alcohol and marijuana. These effects were found in a double blind
    experiment, using 10 subjects. The experimental treatments were
    placebo, 0.75 ml/kg of 95% ethanol, 8 and 15 mg of delta9
    tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). and 0.75 ml/kg of 95% ethanol together
    with 15 mg of THC. The marijuana-induced delay in recovery is
    doserelated. Both drugs produce delayed recovery for at least 2 h
    after drug ingestion. The combined alcohol and marijuana treatment
    produces little more than the effect produced by either drug alone,
    suggesting some antagonism between the drugs--a suggestion supported
    by a significantly lower blood alcohol level for the alcohol dose
    when combined with marijuana than when taken alone.

    Publication Types:

        * Clinical Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Clinical
          Trial');>
        * Controlled Clinical Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp',
          'Controlled Clinical Trial');>
        * Randomized Controlled Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp',
          'Randomized Controlled Trial');>
        * Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.
          <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Research Support, U.S.
          Gov\'t, Non-P.H.S. ');>

    PMID: 415330 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

*2: *Am J Optom Physiol Opt. <javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Am J
Optom Physiol Opt.');> 1976 Dec;53(12):764-73. 	Related Articles,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=pubmed_Abstract&db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=797262>
Links <javascript:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu797262);>

    *Alcohol and marijuana effects on ocular tracking.*

    *Flom MC*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Flom+MC%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Brown B*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Brown+B%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Adams AJ*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Adams+AJ%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Jones RT*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Jones+RT%22%5BAuthor%5D>.

    Experienced alcohol and marijuana users were instructed to track
    with their eyes a small spot that moved horizontally back and forth
    in pendular (sinusoidal) motion across a 7.5-degree field. The
    frequency of spot oscillation was gradually increased from 0.5 to
    3.0 Hz in 40 sec. Eye movement recordings showed the frequency at
    which smooth tracking and, soon thereafter, saccadic tracking broke
    down. These smooth and saccadic cutoff frequencies were reduced
    after administration of alcohol, but not after marijuana or placebo.
    For low alcohol doses, smooth tracking was impaired and saccadic
    tracking was unaffected, much like an effect previously reported for
    barbiturates. Alcohol seems to affect smooth tracking by increasing
    the central processing time required to generate the appropriate eye
    movement. It affects saccadic tracking by slightly decreasing
    saccadic velocity and to a greater extent by increasing latency
    time, part of which may be devoted to central processing. The site
    of action of alcohol appears to be central to both the paramedian
    pontine reticular formation and the flocculus of the cerebellum.

    Publication Types:

        * Clinical Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Clinical
          Trial');>
        * Comparative Study <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp',
          'Comparative Study ');>
        * Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.
          <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Research Support, U.S.
          Gov\'t, Non-P.H.S. ');>
        * Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S. <javascript:AL_get(this,
          'ptyp', 'Research Support, U.S. Gov\'t, P.H.S. ');>

    PMID: 797262 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

*3: *Am J Optom Physiol Opt. <javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Am J
Optom Physiol Opt.');> 1975 Nov;52(11):729-35. 	Related Articles,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=pubmed_Abstract&db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=1106208>
Links <javascript:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu1106208);>

    *Alcohol and marijuana effects on static visual acuity.*

    *Adams AJ*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Adams+AJ%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Brown B*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Brown+B%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Flom MC*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Flom+MC%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Jones RT*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Jones+RT%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Jampolsky A*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Jampolsky+A%22%5BAuthor%5D>.

    Static visual acuity was measured at two contrast levels (12 and
    49%) in ten subjects in a double blind experiment involving five
    drug conditions of alcohol and marijuana (0.5 ml and 1.0 ml/kg body
    weight of 95% ethanol, 8 and 15 mg delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol
    (THC), and a placebo). We found no statistically significant change
    in static visual acuity for any of the dose levels at any of the
    measurement time up to six hours following drug ingestion; this is
    sharply contrasted with the marked decrements in acuity which were
    found in the same subjects under the same drug conditions when the
    targets were in motion and required corrdinated eye movements for
    their resolution.

    Publication Types:

        * Clinical Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Clinical
          Trial');>
        * Comparative Study <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp',
          'Comparative Study ');>
        * Controlled Clinical Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp',
          'Controlled Clinical Trial');>
        * Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.
          <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Research Support, U.S.
          Gov\'t, Non-P.H.S. ');>
        * Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S. <javascript:AL_get(this,
          'ptyp', 'Research Support, U.S. Gov\'t, P.H.S. ');>

    PMID: 1106208 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

*4: *Invest Ophthalmol. <javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Invest
Ophthalmol.');> 1975 Jan;14(1):52-5. 	Related Articles,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=pubmed_Abstract&db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=1089090>
Links <javascript:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu1089090);>

    *Marijuana smoking and reduced pressure in human eyes: drug action
    or epiphenomenon?*

    *Flom MC*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Flom+MC%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Adams AJ*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Adams+AJ%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
    *Jones RT*
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Search&itool=pubmed_Abstract&term=%22Jones+RT%22%5BAuthor%5D>.

    Normal pressure within the human eye was reduced after smoking a
    socially relevant dose of marijuana (12 mg.
    delta9-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), but only for light to moderate users
    who experienced a substantial "high" and a state of peaceful
    relaxation from the experimental dose. Analysis suggests an indirect
    effect of the drug associated with relaxation-a psychophysiologic
    state that can be produced by drug and nondrug means.

    Publication Types:

        * Clinical Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Clinical
          Trial');>
        * Controlled Clinical Trial <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp',
          'Controlled Clinical Trial');>
        * Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.
          <javascript:AL_get(this, 'ptyp', 'Research Support, U.S.
          Gov\'t, Non-P.H.S. ');>
        * Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S. <javascript:AL_get(this,
          'ptyp', 'Research Support, U.S. Gov\'t, P.H.S. ');>

    PMID: 1089090 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

********************************
Larry Baitch, OD, PhD, FAAO
President and
Director of Clinical & Technical Services
American Medical Vision Technologies

Phone: 734-347-8949
Toll Free: 888-838-2688
Fax: 734-213-6011