[visionlist] Post-Doctoral Positions –University of Rochester, NY

Judy Ripton jripton at rcbi.rochester.edu
Mon May 21 14:49:52 GMT 2007

Post-Doctoral Positions –University of Rochester, NY

University of Rochester seeks outstanding postdoctoral fellows with
research interests in the field of Learning and Plasticity in humans to
work as part of a multi-investigator and multi-institutional program on
learning and skill transfer. The overarching goal is to develop a theory
for learning in complex dynamic environments that can not only account
for the cognitive strategies used by human subjects during learning and
decision making at both the behavioral and neurobiological levels, but
can also explain and predict when transfer of learning will be observed
across different tasks, conditions, and domains. We are seeking
candidates working in the domains of computational sciences as well as
behavioral and brain imaging investigations of perception and action.

(1) COMPUTATIONAL: The successful candidate should have a strong
background in computational, and in particular Bayesian, approaches to
Cognition and Neuroscience.   The candidate will work together with
faculty and students from the Departments of Brain & Cognitive Sciences,
and Computer Science at the U. of Rochester, as well as at
co-institutions including Professors Dan Kersten at the U. Minnesota,
Josh Tenenbaum at MIT and Wayne Gray at RPI.  We seek applicants from
any of these disciplines who have expertise in perceptual learning,
decision making, causal reasoning and more generally any form of
statistical inference or machine learning.  We are particularly
interested in postdoctoral fellows who want to contribute to an
interdisciplinary community.

 (2) PERCEPTION & ACTION, STATSTICAL LEARNING AND DECISION MAKING: The
successful candidate should have interests in human learning and
plasticity. Contributing faculty are in the Departments of Brain and
Cognitive Sciences, the Center for Visual Sciences, and the Center for
Language Sciences, and study various forms of learning ranging from
perceptual learning in vision to motor learning and language
acquisition. Candidates with brain imaging experience (fMRI, NIRS, or
ERPs) can join the Imaging community at Rochester, including the
Rochester Center for Brain Imaging, the Biomedical Engineering
Department and ECE, as well as work in collaboration with S. Hillyard at
UCSD.  We seek applicants from any discipline with interests in the
study of learning and plasticity within an interdisciplinary community.

Applicants should send a letter describing their graduate training and
research interests, a vita, and arrange to have three letters of
recommendation sent to:

Professor Daphne Bavelier
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Meliora Hall
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627-0268.

Review of applications will begin on June 15, 2007 and continue until
the positions are filled, with expected start dates ranging from
September 1, 2007 to January, 1 2008.

Learn more about the faculty, students, and training facilities of the
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, the Center for Visual
Science, and the Center for Language Sciences, as well as links to other
affiliated departments and programs by visiting our web site.

http://www.bcs.rochester.edu