[visionlist] Roman acuity test?

Denis Pelli denis.pelli at nyu.edu
Sun Aug 5 00:32:12 GMT 2007

dear gislin

in fact, distinguishing these stars, 12' apart, is a demanding
criterion. they are not very bright. i suspect that they cannot be
seen foveally (rod-free zone). this task may be contrast-limited.
the background luminance of the night time sky is much higher for
most of us than it was in Roman times.

i am trying to find out exactly what the test consisted of. i don't
yet know how the question was posed to the observer. one might ask
which star in the big dipper is double. or one might ask the
orientation of the double star. it's not clear to me how one would
reject a memorized answer.

best

denis

Denis Pelli
Professor of Psychology and Neural Science
New York University
http://psych.nyu.edu/pelli/