[visionlist] Roman acuity test?

Gisela Müller-Plath gisela.mueller-plath at psych.uni-halle.de
Mon Aug 6 09:09:48 GMT 2007

Dear Denis,

in the Roman Army, there were a variety of special types of
centuriones (each commanding a century), e.g. "centurio frumentarius",
responsible for the grain
supply, etc. "Centurion Guard" might mean the "centurio speculator"
(head of the personal 'bodyguards' of the praetor), or the "centurio
excitator" (head of the cavalry patrol).
I don't know whether there exists a proved reference on the acuity test
you were mentioning, but you may want to ask Manfred Clauss in
Frankfurt. He is professor (emeritus) for ancient history and edited an
encyclopedia on Roman Military Expressions.

Homepage: http://web.uni-frankfurt.de/fb08/SAG/ueber/doz-mc.html
Email: clauss at em.uni-frankfurt.de

Gisela