[visionlist] microsaccades in natural vision

Susana Martinez-Conde smart at neuralcorrelate.com
Wed Aug 8 17:17:52 GMT 2007

Dear Francisco,

Yes, microsaccades do occur during spontaneous ocular fixations, such as
those during visual exploration. I'm pasting below a reference of an article
I published last year in Progress in Brain Research. Pages 161-163 address
the issue of microsaccades during visual exploration in humans and monkeys.
Briefly, we found that periods of fixation account for approx. 80% of the
time spent in free-viewing (whether the head is restrained or unrestrained),
and that microsaccades produced during those fixation periods during
free-viewing have comparable dynamics to microsaccades produced during
prolonged fixation.

Martinez-Conde S (2006). "Fixational eye movements in normal and
pathological vision". Progress in Brain Research 154: 151-176.

All the best,

Susana
Susana Martinez-Conde, PhD
Director, Laboratory of Visual Neuroscience
Division of Neurobiology
Barrow Neurological Institute
350 W. Thomas Rd
Phoenix AZ 85013, USA