[visionlist] Research Assistant-MIT

Mary C Potter mpotter at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 18 15:25:07 GMT 2007

RESEARCH ASSISTANT IN COGNITION/PERCEPTION AT MIT

Mary C. Potter is seeking a research assistant (Technical Assistant)
starting as soon as possible. A commitment of at least one year is
required.

My current research is on conceptual short-term attention and memory,
including the attentional blink, competition between words in visual
attention, the influence of sentence context on visual word perception and
selection, and picture encoding and memory. A main focus is testing a
computational model of the attentional blink and related effects proposed
by Brad Wyble and his colleagues. For more about the lab, see
http://mollylab-1.mit.edu/lab/

The Technical Assistant will have primary responsibility for running the
lab, including supervising undergraduate research assistants, programming
and running experiments (with undergraduates as subjects), and analyzing
data. The research community in our department provides an excellent,
stimulating work environment, with opportunities to become acquainted with
the work of students and faculty.

Requirements for the research position include a B.A. or B.S degree, some
experience in experimental research (preferably in cognition, language, or
perception), and experience with programming, preferably with Mac or UNIX
computers. Experience with Matlab or the equivalent is essential.

To apply, please email or write me, enclosing a resume and the names and
telephone numbers/email addresses of at least two people as references.
I'll be happy to answer any questions about the position. MIT is an
affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and minority and women
applicants are encouraged to apply.

Mary C. Potter (Molly)
Professor of Psychology
Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences
46-4125
MIT
Cambridge MA 02139