[visionlist] Postdoc in vision science at Columbia University

Aniruddha Das ad2069 at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 23 21:00:35 GMT 2008

Lab of Aniruddha Das
Columbia University, Dept of Neuroscience

Applications are invited for post doctoral
positions to study the cortical mechanisms
underlying early visual processing. There are
currently three projects in the lab:
    * We have developed a technique for
dual-wavelength optical imaging in the alert
monkey, simultaneously measuring blood volume and
oxygenation. Using this, we have discovered a
novel, stimulus-independent anticipatory response
in V1 that brings fresh arterial blood to cortex
in expectation of predictable visual tasks. We
are currently exploring the functional
consequences of this novel cortical response.
    * Using the same optical imaging technique in
alert monkeys we find nonlinear interactions
amongst visual elements in V1, appropriate for
parsing visual scenes into simple visual forms –
contours, textures, simple shapes. The second
project relates these measured nonlinearities to
the animals’ reported perceptions of the same visual forms.
    * Using a novel technique for measuring
tuning in fMRI signals we find, in human fMRI,
some of the same tuned nonlinear neuronal
interactions that we see in monkey optical
imaging. This allows us to relate monkey
physiology to more complex human perceptual tasks.

Candidates to work on these projects should have
a strong quantitative background with a
demonstrated interest in applying such
quantitative methods to problems in neurobiology.
Experience working in visual neurophysiology,
particularly with alert animals is preferred,
though not a requirement. The candidate’s Ph.D.
could be in Neuroscience, Physics, Computer
Science, Engineering or a related field. A
facility with Matlab / IDL and / or C++ is highly desirable.

We are located in the Center for Integrative
Neuroscience at Columbia University. We share a
floor with 5 other groups also working on issues
of systems neuroscience – with diverse interests
ranging over attentional mechanisms, oculomotor
control, emotional circuitry and computational
neurobiology. Our Center is committed to
maintaining a strongly interactive and
collaborative atmosphere amongst the different laboratories.

Please send inquiries or CVs plus the names of 3 references to:
Aniruddha Das (ad2069 at columbia.edu).

Aniruddha Das
Department of Neuroscience,
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons
1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 87,
NYSPI Kolb Annex Rm 563
New York, NY 10032-2695

ph: 212 543-6931 x 200