[visionlist] Call for abstracts - Crowding symposium at ECVP 2008

Denis Pelli denis.pelli at nyu.edu
Sun Feb 17 22:17:41 GMT 2008

We invite you to submit an abstract for a proposed Crowding symposium
in honor of Herman Bouma to be held at the European Conference on
Visual Perception (ECVP) in Utrecht, the Netherlands, August 24-28,
2008.

- Denis G. Pelli & Frans W. Cornelissen, symposium organizers.

CROWDING

In the periphery, a visual object that is easily recognized when shown
in isolation is hard to identify when surrounded by other objects.
This is "crowding". Diverse studies of crowding come together to
reveal one universal story: to be identified, simple objects must be
separated by at least the observer's critical spacing -- as reported
in the pioneering work of Herman Bouma in the 1970's. Recent work
confirms Bouma's claim that crowding severely limits the rates of
reading and searching. While the phenomenon of crowding has been well
described, theoretical understanding of it is still tentative. For
instance, it has been suggested that crowding may be feature
integration for object recognition, or compulsory averaging for
texture perception.

We invite contributions to this symposium that help to expose the
mechanics and functional significance of crowding. Contributions are
welcome from any field.

Herman Bouma has agreed to give a short historical presentation of his
original observations on crowding.

If you are interested in participating in this symposium (subject to
approval by ECVP), please send us a tentative title and abstract
(which can be changed until March 30th). There will be at least four
15-minute presentations, chosen by the organizers to achieve the best
symposium, considering the quality of both the abstracts per se and
the symposium as a whole. Speakers should plan to come to ECVP 2008,
August 24-28, as normal participants, as there is no special funding
for symposium speakers. ECVP abstracts have a maximum length of 170
words (excluding title, authors, affiliation, and funding
acknowledgments). Feel free to add anything, in your email, to help us
reach a positive decision on your contribution.

We must receive your abstract by February 25, 2008 in order to meet
the ECVP symposium-proposal deadline. You will be notified of our
decision by March 10, 2008. If not included in the symposium, we
encourage you to submit your abstract to ECVP by their deadline of
March 30, 2008. http://ecvp.org

Thanks. We hope to hear from you,

Denis & Frans

Denis G. Pelli
Professor of Psychology and Neural Science, New York University
http://www.psych.nyu.edu/pelli/
denis.pelli at nyu.edu

Frans W. Cornelissen
Laboratory for Experimental Ophthalmology, University Medical Centre
Groningen
http://cornelis.med.rug.nl/leo/people/frans/
f.w.cornelissen at rug.nl