[visionlist] ECVP 2008 Utrecht: Deadline early registration approaching

Frans Verstraten F.A.J.Verstraten at uu.nl
Thu Apr 10 01:05:34 PDT 2008

31st
EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON VISUAL PERCEPTION
ECVP 2008

AUGUST 24-28, 2008, Utrecht, The Netherlands
http://www.ecvp2008.org

The European Conference on Visual Perception is an annual meeting devoted
scientific study of visual perception. ECVP has been held each year since
1978, and attracts a wide variety of participants.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Early registration deadline: April 15, 2008
Cheap housing deadline: April 15, 2008
Hotels blocked until 1 June, 2008.

NEWS:
Abstract submission is closed, we have a full house. As things look now, we
will be able to send out the acceptance letters earlier than planned.
We have a zillion requests for travel support, so start looking for a summer
job...

HOTELS
As I mentioned before, immediately after the ECVP, the Utrecht Old music
Festival will start. We have blocked many rooms in hotels until the 1st of
June. After that date, I expect that it will be very difficult to find
hotelrooms downtown (some hotels are already asking whether we NEED the
rooms).

CONFERENCE BANQUET
We will have 400 seats at the conference diner. First come (registered),
first served basis. We still have a good number of chairs, but don't wait
too long.

PROGRAM

Part of the talks are downtown (the beautiful Cathedral of Utrecht. And yes,
we tested the acoustics, so no need to remind us).

The main conference is at the new University Campus known as DE UITHOF.
Registered participants will have free bus tickets during the conference.
You can also bike (about 10-15 minutes).

LOCATION OF UTRECHT
Just in case you don't know. Utrecht is located in the centre of the
Netherlands. From my office at the Utrecht Campus I can see the control
tower of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. It will take you about half an hour by
train to reach Utrecht Central Station. The train tracks are under the
airport, no need for expensive taxis. Utrecht is about 30 minutes by train
to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Arnhem (in case you want to see the city of the
movie A bridge too far). Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the Hague a bit  less than
an hour. Maastricht and Groningen will take you about two hours (may be...).

But as an American colleague once said to me: "you Dutch start complaining
when a train is 1 minute late, in the U.S. we are happy if the train shows
up at all..."

All the best,

On behalf of the organizing committee

Frans Verstraten, coordinator.