[visionlist] Call for AVA Xmas submissions (Bristol, UK)

Meese, Timothy S t.s.meese at aston.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 05:04:11 PDT 2008

Apologies if you receive multiple postings - this has been circulated over
several lists.

THIRTEENTH AVA CHRISTMAS MEETING, FRIDAY 19TH DECEMBER 2008
                   ABSTRACT DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 7th

We will be celebrating thirteen years of AVA Christmas Meetings in

Merchant Venturers Building
Woodland Road
University of Bristol

on Friday 19th December 2008.

Lecture Theatre 1.11/1.11a (talks)
Atrium (registration, posters and evening reception)

Venue details:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/gallery/places/mvb.html

(Further travel and accommodation details are at the end of this message.)

This year's invited talks will be given by:

                      1)  Matteo Carandini (CRS guest lecture)
                          (UCL, UK)

                      2)  Innes Cuthill
                          (University of Bristol, UK)

                      3)  Petroc Sumner (AVA Marr medal lecture)
                          (University of Cardiff, UK)

Abstracts (max length: 250 words) should be submitted by e-mail to Tim Meese
(t.s.meese at aston.ac.uk) by November 7th. Abstracts will be peer reviewed and
published in the journal Perception (so long as presenting authors attend
the meeting) and should cover previously unreported research on any aspect
of vision. Abstracts must be in the standard format for ECVP/Perception
(including addresses etc), examples of which can be seen at:

http://www.perceptionweb.com/P.html

References should be given in the body of the abstract in full, but without
the title.
e.g. (Rayner et al, 2001, Vis Res, 41, 943-954)

PLEASE NOTE:
1) Abstracts should be appended with a statement of preference for a talk or
a poster.
2) The e-mail accompanying the abstract should indicate which of the authors
will and will not be attending the meeting.
3) Unless otherwise stated, it will be assumed that the first author will be
the presenting author.

It is expected that speakers will use their own laptop, or will bring a
powerpoint presentation on a memory stick suitable for use with either a PC
or a MAC.

The organizers will try to accommodate preferences for a talk or poster but
the number of submissions that this meeting now attracts means that this is
not always possible. In particular, authors should note that tardy
submissions are much less likely to be accepted as talks.

With the exception of overseas visitors, attendees should pay in advance at
the registration rate shown below. If needs be, payment will be accepted on
the door though credit card facilities will not be available. Overseas
visitors may pay on the door but, in any case, we would be most grateful if
you could give us advance warning of your intention to attend.

                R E G I S T R A T I O N   F E E S
                        Students          Other
Members               15                 30          Pounds Sterling
Non-members        25                 40
Membership plus    35                 50
registration

We will be accepting registration fees using Paypal.
To register go to http://www.theAVA.net/ and select the link to the
Christmas meeting at Bristol (2008).
When you use Paypal for the first time it takes a little time to set things
up, but thereafter it is quite quick. We do hope you will find this a
convenient way of paying your registration fee.
Alternatively, we still accept cheques (payable to 'Applied Vision
Association') which should be sent to Gillian Porter at the address below.
(If sending cheques please indicate the registration category and who the
cheque is for.)

Gillian Porter
<mailto:Gillian.Porter at bristol.ac.uk>
Dept of Experimental Psychology
University of Bristol
12a Priory Road
Bristol
BS8 1TU

If you're planning on attending the AVA Christmas meeting, please send an
e-mail to Gillian Porter <mailto:Gillian.Porter at bristol.ac.uk>  so that we
can cater for the appropriate numbers.

All other enquiries should also be directed to Gillian Porter.

DIRECTIONS
Directions to the building are at
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~kovacs/mvb.directions.html
<http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/%7Ekovacs/mvb.directions.html>

and some with funny English but more detail are at
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~henkm/route.html
<http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/%7Ehenkm/route.html>

The venue is at Location 25 on the map at
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/maps/precinct-big.html

and travel guidance to Bristol University is given at
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/maps/

Note that Bristol Airport is served by many airlines including EasyJet, and
is located close to the city.

Hotels close by can be booked at
http://www.cliftonhotels.com/
and
http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-5547-ibis-bristol-centre/index.shtml

We look forward to seeing you on the 19th December.