[visionlist] Soft metrology and transparency
Osvaldo Da Pos
osvaldo.dapos at unipd.it
Sat Nov 8 20:32:16 PST 2008
Soft metrology and transparency
1. How is it possible to perform instrumental measurement of
perceived transparency / translucency?
2. The question has a relevant industrial and commercial impact.
The CIE Technical Committee TC1-72 aims to give an up-to-date answer
to a series of problems related to the "soft metrology" of visual
appearance such as glossiness, transparency, texture.
3. I am leading the work relative to the measurement of
transparency, and for this reason I am addressing the vision community
to invite interested people to offer possible contributions.
4. As a first step, we would like, as usual, to collect and
annotate the relevant literature in the field of achromatic and
chromatic transparency. Papers on transparency are really numerous and
I am inviting all willing colleagues to supply either references, or,
still better, full texts of experimental works on transparency /
translucency: to <osvaldo.dapos at unipd.it>.
5. The collected material will be put on the TC1-72 website and be
available to all contributors, whose collaboration will be publicly
6. Most of the literature on chromatic transparency up to 1999 has
been quoted in a paper of mine which is available at:
7. The final outcome of the work will be: a satisfying definition
of the terms, a good phenomenal description of the transparency
appearance, a list of the main models, a list of the main physical
variables affecting the visual appearance of transparency
(psychophysics), the necessary viewing conditions, the most current
Many thanks for your kind attention, Osvaldo da Pos
More information about the visionlist