[visionlist] Ph.D. Student Positions in Multisensory Cognition Lab

Kerry Jordan kerry.jordan at usu.edu
Mon Nov 24 11:42:14 PST 2008

I am seeking Ph.D. students to collaborate on research investigating the development of humans' concepts of number and objects across different senses.  Research in our Multisensory Cognition Lab currently addresses such questions as:

1) Do infants and young children represent abstract concepts such as number?
2) Do number and object representations in children and adults extend across different senses?
3) Can we enhance nonverbal attention, learning, and memory in domains such as numerical cognition by providing redundant information through multiple senses?

In addition, I anticipate involving students in two newer lines of research that investigate effects of emotion on numerical processing and ask about perception of multisensory objects across space and time.

Students would be enrolled in the Experimental and Applied Psychological Science program through the Department of Psychology at Utah State University, located in a spectacular mountain setting.  Students collaborating on these projects will be supported by research and teaching assistantships. Our lab offers ample opportunities for ownership of projects, close collaboration with the P.I., conference presentations, and journal article authorship.  Openings in my lab are available for Fall 2009.

If you are interested, please contact me as soon as possible by e-mail at kerry.jordan at usu.edu<mailto:kerry.jordan at usu.edu>. Information about the graduate program at Utah State University is available at http://www.usu.edu/psychology/programs/eaps/eaps_splash.php

I would love to hear about the following when you contact me:

    * Your relevant research experiences
    * Your technical knowledge (experience with programming)
    * Your CV
    * The names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of 3 academic references

Kerry E. Jordan
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Utah State University