[visionlist] Is the FULL LED technology appropriate for my experiment??

Paweł Nawrot Pawel.Nawrot at amu.edu.pl
Mon May 17 19:40:35 GMT 2010

Hello everybody,

I would like to buy 40" or 42" FULL HD TV for my experiments. My budget
amounts to about 1000$.
Features I would like to have in it:
a) a homogeneous highlighting of  the screen. I will set a participant
in a dark room, about 1,5m in front of the full black screen on which he
will look at a small white cross.
b) the screen without glare layer on it. I don't want a participant to
look at his own "mirror image" while doing experiment in bright room.

My considerations:

First, I have been trying to get to know as much as possible about LCD
and plasma technology. Secondly, I saw some models of each group in a
supermarket to check if very good tv's specification is adequate to my
visual impression. I tested bright-grey cross which was static and then
dynamic on the black background. I connected it to TV by VGA port of my
notebook. The highest frequency of displayed picture was 60Hz.

Plasma - Panasonic Panasonic TX-P42G10E </2460272> - excellent contrast
and homogenous background in the dark. Contrast isn't so high in the
brightness than in the dark but it is caused by grey-green colour of
screen. Main video specs: Contrast: Black Native: 40,000:1; 600 Hz
Sub-field Drive; Shades of Gradation 6,144 equivalent.
The worst thing is that when cross is moving (velocity about 3cm/sec)
there is tiny smudge (surprisingly! despite of 600Hz technology). To
gain bright-grey colour the screen displays cross which is MROWIEJąCY.
Additionally, the bright cross is seen as double (sign and his ghost)
when you look not in front of it - it is caused by light reflected from
the glass surface of exterior, glare (!), protective layer put on the
screen.

LCD - LG 42LH5000 - black, mat screen. Great contrast in the brightness,
worse in the dark. Highlighting is situated in screen's edges, and in
the dark this technology causes glows radiate from edges - this is the
worst thing in this TV! There is no smudge while the cross is moving,
and its bright-grey colour is stable.

I'm thinking about the new LCD from Sharp, with FULL LED technology,
model LC-40LE700E. I saw it on-live in a supermarket, but I couldn't try
it with the bright-grey cross and black background.

I will be grateful for feedback from you,

Pawel Nawrot
Laboratory of Vision Science and Optometry
Adam Mickiewicz Univeristy in Poznan, Poland