[visionlist] Special Issue on Shape Perception

Zygmunt Pizlo pizlo at psych.purdue.edu
Wed Jul 7 12:11:25 GMT 2010

Special Issue of 'Seeing and Perceiving', the continuation of 'Spatial
Vision'

Shape perception - recent results and models

There has been growing interest in shape perception during the last
several years.
The biological and computer vision communities are again exploring the
role of
shape in figure-ground organization, in object recognition and
categorization and
in perception of 3D objects. The two recent workshops on shape perception in
human and computer vision (ECCV 2008, ECVP 2009), as well as the upcoming
3rd workshop (ECCV, September 2010, Crete, Greece) confirmed that shape is
playing a central role in defining new approaches to vision. In an
effort to continue
this momentum and to cast a broader net, we are assembling a special
issue of Seeing
and Perceiving, whose goal is to report empirical and theoretical work
on how 3D shape
perception is achieved. We welcome papers on visual perception and
multisensory
papers which include, for example, visuo-haptic 3D shape perception. We also
welcome papers with a neuroscience emphasis as well as behavioural,
perceptual,
and computational approaches.

Original papers presenting new results and models on shape are invited.
We especially
encourage interdisciplinary contributions, which for example compare
psychophysical
results against computational models. The target date for submissions is
September 1, 2010.

Once papers are accepted, they will be assigned DOI numbers, type-set,
and almost
immediately put out on the Ingenta web site of the Journal ('advanced
on-line publication)
so that the papers are available in published form right away, without
having to wait for
the remaining papers in the issue. After the special issue(s) appears in
the Journal of
Seeing and Perceiving, the issue(s) will also be published in the form
of a book, by Brill,
which is the publisher of the journal.

Please request information from the Guest Editors; please submit papers
through Brill's
portal www.brill.nl/sp

Guest Editors for Special Issue:

Zygmunt Pizlo, Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences,
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2081
pizlo at psych.purdue.edu

Sven Dickinson, Professor
Department of Computer Science
University of Toronto, 6 King's College Rd.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3G4
sven at cs.toronto.edu

General Editors--

Adam Reeves      Email:  reeves at neu.edu