[visionlist] visionlist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 93

David Carmel davecarmel at nyu.edu
Thu Jul 22 15:43:47 GMT 2010

Hi Joe,
I'm afraid I have to agree with Diana that there is a problem with point 2 -
but it goes beyond the false alarm terms in the d' calculations canceling
out. At a artihmetic level, using an identical term (false alarm rates) in
two calculations, each of which only contains one other term (the hit rate
in each), means that the identical term isn't adding anything - so you could
equally well just compare the hit rates, as Todd suggested.
But when calculating d' there is the additional step of converting the rates
to the probabilities associated with them in the normal distribution - and
due to the shape of the distribution, equal densities within the
distribution translate into different distances on the x axis.
For example, say you have an FA rate of 20%. Consider what happens if you
calculate d' for two different scenarios: one where the hit rates are 65%
and 75%, and the other where they are 85% and 95%. So there's a 10% hit-rate
difference in each, but in the first case the d' scores are 1.23 and 1.52 -
a difference of 0.29; in the second case, the d' scores are 1.88 and 2.49 -
a difference of 0.61.
So identical hit rate differences can lead to massively different d'
differences, if the FA rate is the same in each calculation. If the FA rates
are drawn from appropriate experimental conditions - i.e., each comes from
the same condition as the corresponding hit rate - and they just happen to
be the same, then that's fine and actually reflects something. But if the FA
is the same because it is simply the same number used twice, then the effect
on the d' score is artifactual.
The solution, as one of the previous responders here suggested, is to have
the two types of trial - weak and strong TMS - in separate blocks, mixed
with different items of the comparison type (new pictures) in each. This way
you get separate hit rates AND separate false alarm rates. We recently did
this in a paper where the logical structure of the conditions was very
similar to yours (though the actual content was different - we wanted to see
whether the emotional content of words was easier to detect for negative or
for positive words, each compared with neutral words - see Nasrallah, Carmel
& Lavie, Emotion 2009).
Cheers,
David

Dr David Carmel