[visionlist] Chair in Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Manchester

Paul Warren Paul.Warren at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 16:22:26 GMT 2012

Applications are invited for a Chair in Cognitive Neuroscience based in the School of Psychological Sciences at the University of Manchester, UK.

http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/research/groups/cognitionandcognitive/

The Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience research group (CCNRG) at Manchester enjoys strengths in traditional experimental psychology and psychophysics as well as in cognitive neuroscience (including fMRI, structural MRI, EEG, TMS, and neuropsychological approaches) and greatly values the strength of this convergence of techniques. We have considerable expertise in the methods we adopt and this is complemented by strong links with the Imaging Sciences group at Manchester and with sections of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Faculty. We have active collaborations with Psychiatry, Neurology and other sections of the Faculty of Medical and Human sciences as well as with groups in the Faculty of Life Sciences who have a focus on basic and systems neuroscience. Our research addresses a number of areas including issues in language, memory, vision and multisensory perception, problem solving and decision making, emotion, visuomotor processes, face recognition and embodied cognition. CCNRG is formed of a friendly, collaborative and energetic group of research active staff, postdocs and PhD students. We share many of our research resources and meet every two weeks to present and discuss our research or to discuss key research management issues.

The University of Manchester currently has one 3T and two 1.5T MR Scanners (as well as a small bore pre-clinical MR scanner), MR compatible EEG and eye-tracker, and two PET scanners. It is in the process of agreeing the installation of a second 3T MR scanner. The University also runs a very generous system of allocation of scanner time to Manchester academics. This ensures that all interested researchers at Manchester can acquire sufficient MR data to develop a track record and support grant applications. We have a very active MRI community and run several in-house presentation events each year. Members of CCNRG have roles within the MR management structure and within the management of the University's Biomedical Imaging Institute and Neuroscience Research Institute. Therefore we are well integrated into the University's cognitive and clinical neuroscience community.

The group is looking for a new Professor to join them and bring strengths in complementary or new thematic areas and methodologies as well as someone who will provide strong academic and research leadership in cognition and/or cognitive neuroscience.

Informal enquiries should be directed to Daniela Montaldi:  daniela.montaldi at manchester.ac.uk<mailto:daniela.montaldi at manchester.ac.uk>

The link to the relevant information about the position is http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ADP711/chair-in-cognitive-neuroscience