[visionlist] Josh Wallman

David Troilo dtroilo at sunyopt.edu
Mon Mar 5 19:17:15 GMT 2012

It is with great regret and deep personal sadness that I inform the vision
science community of the loss of Josh Wallman. Josh passed away on
Saturday, March 3rd, after an extended illness. He was 68. We have lost a
creative and innovative colleague, and those who knew him well have lost a
dear friend.

Josh was Professor of Biological Sciences at The City College of New York
for nearly 40 years and made many scientific contributions to vision
science over the course of his career. He was a truly transformational
force with his paradigm-shifting work on the temporal and spatial
integration of visual experience for the control of eye growth and the
development of refractive state. His research interests also included
significant contributions on the neurophysiology of eye movement and the
psychophysics of eye movements and visual attention. For his contributions
in these areas Josh received the 2012 Friedenwald Award from ARVO.

For all those who knew him, he will be deeply and forever missed. For
those who never met him, I am sorry that you missed knowing him and
experiencing his infectious curiosity and love of science. He was a
selfless scientist, a great innovator, a trusted collaborator, and a
wonderful mentor.

David Troilo