[visionlist] PhD student positions in systems neuroscience

Vincent Bonin vincentbonin at gmail.com
Sun May 20 20:40:21 GMT 2012

PhD student positions in systems neuroscience available in the
laboratory of Vincent Bonin at Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders in
Leuven, Belgium, (NERF, www.nerf.be) with support from Vlaams Instituut
voor Biotechnologie (VIB, www.vib.be), imec (www.imec.be) and K.U.
Leuven (www.kuleuven.be).

Our lab studies the biological mechanisms and network computations that
underlie visual processing in the mammalian brain. We use large-scale
electrophysiology, calcium imaging, optogenetics, eye tracking, and
computational modeling to probe processing in neural populations in the
visual system of awake, behaving mice. The successful candidates will
have access to state-of-the-art tools and facilities, a rich training
environment, and the possibility to collaborate with other groups within
NERF, VIB, IMEC and K.U. Leuven.

Requirements: You have a university degree in neuroscience, computer
science, psychology, physics, mathematics or engineering. You have
significant research experience in systems, cellular or molecular
neuroscience. You have strong quantitative and technical skills and are
fluent in at least one programming language (e.g. Matlab, Python, C++).
You are comfortable working with small animals and performing precise
procedures such as neurosurgeries. You like to be challenged, and are
able to work independently, as well as within a team, towards
established goals.

Students interested in pursuing a project in the lab should send me a
CV, a copy of their transcripts, and a cover letter stating career
goals, research interests, and how these relate to our research.

--
Vincent Bonin, PhD
Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders
Email: vincent.bonin at vib.be