[visionlist] Help us Oppose NIH's Proposed New Definition of "Clinical Trial"

George Sperling sperling at uci.edu
Sun Jun 4 14:34:15 -05 2017

Re Gary Rubin 's comment that I interpret to mean that perhaps we all hope to do
work that ultimately may have a “health-related biomedical or behavioral
outcome” on " biomedical or behavioral status or quality of life”?

  If one takes the broadest point of view, consider the following studies that
can have profound effect on both individual and on societal health-related
outcomes:  Different interventions that affect voting patterns--whether people
will vote for or against inclusive governmental health insurance, studies on
educational interventions that may affect how people can discriminate between
and respond to real and false news concerning climate change and air pollution,
and agricultural studies with farmers assigned to groups that continue using
their habitual fertilizers and pesticides versus farmers that are induced not
to.  All can have very important implications on "biomedical or behavioral
status or quality of life" of the individuals in the studies as well as on the
public.  These studies do not fall under the category of clinical trials as they
are conventionally understood but might under a broad interpretation of the
above NIH definition of Clinical Trial.  While one may believe that all such
studies as well as those suggested by other writers require governmental
oversight, the NIH rules for clinical trials are not the appropriate guidelines
for these sorts of studies and therefore should be reformulated to exclude
them.  The NIH definitions are a legalistic matter in sense that what ultimately
is important is not what the rules intend but what the rules actually say.  I
suggest that the most interested parties coordinate to consult with lawyers and
other experts on how to best reformulate and clarify NIH rules as well as to
incorporate specific exclusions, and then send very specific suggestions to NIH.

George Sperling, University of California, Irvine, Department of Cognitive Sciences