[visionlist] Fwd: PhD position in human (deep) learning

Dominik Endres dominik.endres at uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 1 05:18:52 -05 2017

PhD position available in project 2 of the Research Training Group 2271 funded
by the DFG (German Research Foundation) at the University of Marburg, Germany

In this project, we will investigate whether individual humans are Bayesian
(deep) learners under naturalistic conditions (virtual reality), in contrast
to the widely studied population averages under impoverished laboratory
conditions. Specifically, we will determine whether Bayesian learning dynamics
models are better able to predict human learning on a trial-by-trial basis
than traditional associative learning models. For this purpose, we will
concentrate on “retrospective revaluation”, as we expect model differences to
prominent here. Project #2 focuses on the theory component of the tandem
project, project #12 concentrate on the experimental testing in human
behavioral experiments.
The Research Training Group (RTG) 2271 “Expectation Maintenance vs. Change in
the Context of Expectation Violations: Connecting Different Approaches” is
funded by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft,
DFG). The overarching goal of this RTG is to investigate why and when
organisms (humans, animals) change or maintain generalized expectations in the
face of disconfirming evidence.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 22, 2017

See also:
https://www.uni-marburg.de/fb04/forschung/phdprogram/jobadverts

--
Prof. Dr. Dominik Endres