[visionlist] QUEST+ in Matlab

Andrew Watson abwatson at me.com
Tue Sep 26 09:01:03 -05 2017

Colleagues,

I recently published a paper describing a new adaptive psychometric procedure QUEST+ that overcomes many shortcomings of previously described procedures, including the original QUEST.

Watson, A. B. (2017). QUEST+: A general multidimensional Bayesian adaptive psychometric method. Journal of Vision, 17(3), 10-10, http://dx.doi.org/10.1167/17.3.10 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1167/17.3.10>.

With this new method you can:
Use an arbitrary number of stimulus dimensions (contrast, spatial frequency, orientation, color, …)
Use an arbitrary sampling of each stimulus dimension
Use an arbitrary psychometric function shape (Weibull, Normal, Step, Logistic, whatever!)
Use an arbitrary number of psychometric function parameters (mean, variance, guess, lapse,…)
Use an arbitrary number of trial outcomes (e.g. for categorical rating experiments)
I am happy to report that a Matlab version of QUEST+ has now been produced by David Brainard. This code is fully compatible with PsychToolbox.

The code is available at

          https://github.com/brainardlab/mQUESTPlus <https://github.com/brainardlab/mQUESTPlus>

Comments on the method should go to me, comments on the code to David.

Enjoy!

-Beau

Andrew B. Watson
Los Gatos, CA 95030