[visionlist] PhD positions at UMass Amherst

Rosie Cowell rcowell at psych.umass.edu
Wed Oct 4 08:49:08 -05 2017

The laboratories of David Huber <http://people.umass.edu/dehuber/> and
Rosie Cowell <http://people.umass.edu/cmap-lab/> at the University of
Massachusetts, Amherst are actively recruiting new PhD students to start
in September, 2018. Our joint lab offers training in both theory and
experimentation, using fMRI (at the UMass scanner
<https://www.umass.edu/ials/hmrc>), EEG, behavioral studies and
mathematical modeling to address questions about memory, visual
perception, attention and the BOLD signal. Research projects in the lab
are supported by NSF (Cowell
<https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1554871>, Huber
<https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1431147>) and NIH
<https://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=9390666&icde=36316417&ddparam=&ddvalue=&ddsub=&cr=1&csb=default&cs=ASC&pball=>
funding. More about our program, department and town:

  * all PhD positions fully funded through teaching and research
    assistantships
  * a highly interactive group of 10 faculty within the Cognition and
    Cognitive Neuroscience
    <https://www.umass.edu/pbs/research/cognition-and-cognitive-neuroscience>
    division, with particular expertise in mathematical modeling
  * five divisions within Psych and Brain Sciences
    <http://www.umass.edu/pbs/> (Cognitive, Developmental, Neuro,
    Social, Clinical)
  * new external funding in the Psych and Brain Sciences Dept in excess
    of $14m for 2017 so far
  * UMass Amherst <https://www.umass.edu/> is an R1 (Highest Research
    Activity) Institution
  * Amherst offers a lively intellectual environment thanks to the Five
    Colleges (UMass, Smith, Amherst, Mt Holyoke, Hampshire)
  * ... in a beautiful rural setting with mountain views (and cheap
    rent), 90 minutes' drive from Boston

Contact Rosie Cowell or David Huber with research-related questions.
Students may apply to enter the lab through one of two Graduate
Programs: Psychological and Brain Sciences (Cognitive)
<http://www.umass.edu/pbs/graduate/cognition-and-cognitive-neuroscience/how-apply>
or Neuroscience and Behavior <http://gpls.cns.umass.edu/nsb>.

--
Rosie A. Cowell