[visionlist] PhD positions in computational & experimental approaches to naturalistic behavior

Constantin Rothkopf rothkopf at psychologie.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Oct 8 04:09:01 -05 2017

Applications are invited for a PhD student position in the lab of
Constantin Rothkopf at the Technical University Darmstadt. The lab is
part of  the newly established Centre for Cognitive Science and the
Institute of Psychology. Our work focuses on computational and
experimental approaches to further the understanding of naturalistic,
sequential visuomotor behavior in humans, including experimental
approaches to investigate cue integration in complex natural tasks
(e.g., motor control, locomotion, navigation and spatial orientation).

Current topics include:
- statistics of visuomotor behavior in naturalistic tasks,
- image statistics during visuomotor behavior in-the-wild,
- optimal control models of visuomotor behavior,
- inverse-optimal-control in human visuomotor behavior,
- eye-movements in naturalistic tasks,
- cue integration for navigation (optic flow and locomotion, locomotion
and cognitive maps).

For further information please visit our websites:
http://www.pip.tu-darmstadt.de/
http://www.fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~rothkopf/

Applicants need to have a Master's degree in cognitive science, computer
science, psychology, or related fields. In addition to a strong general
interest in cognitive science, computational science, experimental
psychology, and interdisciplinary research, the ideal candidate has a
background in eye-tracking or virtual reality technology. Experience
with programming (e.g. Python, Matlab, C++, Unity) is inevitable.
Analytical aptitude as well as awareness of experimental literature is
expected. We offer a supportive and multidisciplinary environment driven
by scientific curiosity, lab facilities for measuring extended behavior
(e.g. visuomotor, motor, locomotive, spatial) in-the-wild and in VR, as
well as international collaborations.

Informal inquiries may be made to Constantin Rothkopf at
constantin.rothkopf at cogsci.tu-darmstadt.de