[visionlist] [Job Posting] Egocentric perception post-doc: observing and guiding humans Bristol UK

Brian Sullivan brian.sullivan at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 10:58:13 -05 2017

Egocentric perception, the best way to perceive and gather evidence in a dynamic and interactive world.

We have an opening for a research assistant/postdoc position for up to 30 months on our EPSRC project GLANCE. Application Deadline as soon as possible but strictly by 03-Dec-2017.

The work involves the development of novel Computer Vision and Augmented Reality guidance for egocentric understanding and modelling of users and tasks.

The GLANCE project is an ongoing EPSRC £1.1M 4-year project that started in Q1 2016. It is a collaboration between Computer Science (Prof. Walterio Mayol-Cuevas and Dr. Dima Damen) and Experimental Psychology (Prof. Iain Gilchrist and Dr. Casimir Ludwig) at the University of Bristol, UK. The project's team currently has 4 Principal Investigators, one Research Associate and two PhD students.

Overall the aim is to develop and validate novel ways in which people can interact with the world via cognitive visual wearables -intelligent on-body computing systems that use visual perception to understand user, context, and importantly, are prompt-less and useful. Specifically, there will be a focus on the automatic production and display of glanceable guidance. In contrast to traditional and intricate 3D Augmented Reality approaches that have been difficult to show significant usefulness, glanceable guidance aims to synthesize the nuances of complex tasks in easily visually digestible snippets of information that are easier to learn and use.
Our early results on this have been published in our You-Do-I-Learn BMVC2014<http://www.bmva.org/bmvc/2014/papers/paper059/index.html> and GlaciAR, AH 2017<https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3041185&CFID=986279682&CFTOKEN=84256649> papers.

GLANCE is underpinned by a rich program of experimental work and rigorous validation across a variety of interaction tasks and user groups. The project is in partnership with high-impact industry and societal partners in health care towards assisted living and in industrial settings focusing on assembly and maintenance tasks. We also have international partners with whom further validation is to be developed cross-borders.

The project is geared towards high-quality impact publications as well as technology transfer opportunities.

To apply for position ACAD102968 please go here<http://www.bristol.ac.uk/jobs/find/details.html?nPostingID=6749&nPostingTargetID=34814&option=28&sort=DESC&respnr=1&ID=Q50FK026203F3VBQBV7V77V83&JobNum=ACAD102968&Resultsperpage=10&lg=UK&mask=uobext>.

For informal enquiries, please contact:

Professor Walterio Mayol-Cuevas  Walterio.Mayol-Cuevas at bristol.ac.uk<mailto:Walterio.Mayol-Cuevas at bristol.ac.uk>
or Dr Dima Damen  Dima.Damen at bristol.ac.uk<mailto:Dima.Damen at bristol.ac.uk>

--