[visionlist] Statistical Criticism is Easy; I Need to RememberThat Real People are Involved

Lester Loschky loschky at ksu.edu
Sat Nov 18 22:51:45 -05 2017

I think that was what Todd was trying to say, but with a good dose of irony
added.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Roland Fleming <
Roland.W.Fleming at psychol.uni-giessen.de> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> I’m pretty sure that’s why they are advocating Bayesian approaches that
> (supposedly) do allow you to evaluate the evidence for the null hypothesis,
> as in:
>
> Rouder, J. N., Speckman, P. L., Sun, D., Morey, R. D., & Iverson, G.
> (2009). Bayesian t tests for accepting and rejecting the null hypothesis.
> Psychonomic bulletin & review, 16(2), 225-237.
>
> — R
>

> > On 16 Nov 2017, at 21:45, Horowitz, Todd (NIH/NCI) [E] <
> todd.horowitz at nih.gov> wrote:
> >
> > Oops!
> >
> > What I meant to say was that a p-value tells you how likely your data
> are given the null hypothesis, it doesn’t really say anything about the
> probability of the null hypothesis. So a SMALL p-value means that my data
> are unlikely given the null hypothesis, and a LARGE p-value means my data
> are likely given the null-hypothesis... but they could be even more
> compatible with some other hypothesis!
> >
> > thanks
> > Todd

Lester Loschky
Professor
Associate Director, Cognitive and Neurobiological Approaches to Plasticity
Center
Department of Psychological Sciences
471 Bluemont Hall
1114 Mid-Campus Dr North