[visionlist] Info on "coloured filters" sought

m.coleman at surrey.ac.uk m.coleman at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 09:02:16 -05 2017

Dear Michael,

I can only really comment on the Irlen lenses side of things. Some additional search terms that may be helpful:

'colorimetry', 'Meares-Irlen', 'overlays', 'scotopic sensitivity' - may bring up some related papers.

Agree there is a limited selection of literature on this topic with regard to reading difficulties. Griffiths et al. (10.1111/opo.12316) sum up the issues nicely. I've used coloured overlays extensively in clinical practice and my experience is that while they can be incredibly effective in certain individuals, the evidence base for predicting which patient characteristics are indicative of a strong response is very limited. Another key issue is differentiating between visual stress symptoms originating from a treatable binocular vision problem and those that can be addressed only via coloured filter. There's also a lack of consistency in the thresholds for prescribing overlays as well - in the Scottish NHS the threshold was a 30% improvement in reading speed for prescribing the chosen overlay after successful treatment of any co-existing binocular vision problems, but this is not consistent across the UK or internationally.

I also had one memorable patient who did not require an overlay, but in fact experienced almost a 'reverse' form of Meares-Irlen syndrome - they were incredibly symptomatic for text on yellow paper, with a great reduction in reading speed, but had no issues with white or other colours. Interestingly, there is little focus on this kind of (probably rare) phenomenon in the existing literature on the topic. There is also little exploring the idea that giving an overlay where one was in fact not required may be detrimental to a child's educational development. I think there is a great need for more qualitative research in this area to accompany the quantitative approaches.

Regarding other uses for coloured filters, they are gaining more traction in the 'blue light' screentime controversy with regard to improving sleep quality.

That's all I can really contribute, apologies it's not the robust evidence you were hoping for but hope it provides a little insight.

Best wishes,
Dr. Marianne Coleman
Research Orthoptist
University of Surrey