[visionlist] Postdoctoral position in Action for Vision at Smith-Kettlewell, San Francisco

Steve Heinen heinen at ski.org
Fri Dec 15 00:41:11 -05 2017

Our laboratory seeks a postdoctoral fellow to be funded by an NEI
institutional training grant to Smith-Kettlewell, or through an internal
funding mechanism. We investigate interactions between oculomotor
systems using naturalistic visual stimuli, with an emphasis on attentive
and subconscious elements of oculomotor control. Our approach pairs
visual psychophysics with eye movement recording to elucidate
sensorimotor signal flow, and ongoing projects use fMRI to investigate
new perspectives on circuitry underlying these processes.

Smith-Kettlewell is located in San Francisco, a hub of biomedical and
biotech research. Our location and reputation in vision science affords
the opportunity for postdocs to collaborate with nearby universities and
tech companies. San Francisco has many cultural amenities that include
diverse dining and entertainment venues, and easy access to outdoor
activities in our many parks and waterways.

The fellowships require a Ph.D. or M.D. and are normally awarded for two
years. We train our fellows to become independent scientists, and
encourage them to pursue their own research in collaboration with and
mentored by our principle investigators. Fellows who demonstrate success
obtaining external funding can be invited to continue as sponsored
investigators at the institute. Applications from individuals with
disabilities or other underrepresented groups are particularly
encouraged. The NEI Training Grant requires that fellows be US citizens
or permanent residents, but non-citizens may be eligible for internal
funding. Note that the position is offered through the Smith-Kettlewell
fellowship program, which accepts applications to all Institute labs.

Applications will be accepted until January 15, 2018. Additional details
of the program and application procedures can be found at
http://www.ski.org/what-does-fellowship-smith-kettlewell-offer. To
apply, please contact me at heinen at ski.org <mailto:heinen at ski.org>.

--
Stephen J. Heinen, Ph.D., Senior Scientist
The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
heinen at ski.org
http://www.ski.org/SJHeinen_lab