[visionlist] Symposium on Applied Perception in Vancouver, Canada: 3nd Call for Papers and Posters; Abstract deadline April 3rd, Paper deadline April 10th.

Bernhard Riecke ber1 at sfu.ca
Fri Mar 30 12:38:41 -05 2018

**

    *Symposium on Applied Perception 3nd Call for Papers and Posters*

*

The ACM Symposium on Applied Perception (ACM SAP
<http://sap.acm.org/2018/>) aims to advance and promote research that
crosses the boundaries between perception and disciplines such as
graphics, visualization, computer vision, haptics, acoustics, and
augmented, mixed, and virtual reality. These fields can benefit from the
exchange of ideas. The scope of the conference includes applications and
algorithms in any area of research that incorporates elements of
perception and computer science.

Our fifteenth annual event provides an intimate, immersive forum for
exchanging ideas about areas of overlapping interests. The ACM SAP 2018
conference will be held in downtown Vancouver, BC, Canada on the 10th
and 11th of August, 2018. We aim to further promote communication
between the core perception and computer graphics communities.

We invite submissions of original work in all areas of applied
perception. Relevant areas include:

  *

    Modeling, rendering, and animation

  *

    Visualization

  *

    Computational aesthetics

  *

    Haptic rendering, haptic input and perception

  *

    Perception of virtual characters

  *

    Color vision and color appearance modeling

  *

    Perception of high dynamic range scenes and images

  *

    Interaction techniques and interfaces

  *

    Augmented, mixed, and virtual reality

  *

    Virtual worlds

  *

    Display technologies

  *

    Auditory display and interfaces

  *

    Perceptual auditory coding

  *

    Spatialized sound

  *

    Speech synthesis and recognition

  *

    Sensory integration

  *

    Multimodal rendering

  *

    Spatial and temporal vision

  *

    Attention and eye movements

  *

    Statistical learning and perception of natural scenes

  *

    Perception of shapes, surfaces, and materials

  *

    Biosensing including EEG

    Papers

Research can be submitted as a long paper (up to 8 pages and up to 20
minute talk), a short paper (up to 4 pages and up to 15 minute talk), or
as a poster presentation (1 page abstract). All submissions should
follow the general SIGGRAPH formatting guidelines
<http://www.siggraph.org/learn/instructions-authors>. Page limits
include all references. Diagrams and images should be represented in
color where appropriate. Papers that are not accepted will be considered
for the poster session. Authors of posters accepted by this route will,
of course, have the option to decline the opportunity to present a poster.

    Posters

The posters program at SAP provides an informal venue for authors to
share their research achievements and further discuss them with others.
In that spirit, we encourage all types of scholarly submissions that fit
the scope of ACM-SAP. In particular, we explicitly welcome poster
submissions on work-in-progress and on work that may have been
previously published elsewhere but for which additional dissemination
and discussion is desired. The poster session is an integral part of SAP
and the SAP program will include a dedicated time slot for poster
viewing and discussion. All poster presenters will also have the
opportunity to give a one-minute presentation on their work during a
poster fast-forward session.

NOTE: SAP poster abstracts are NOT considered to be archival
publications, and as such will NOT appear in the ACM Digital Library so
should not interfere with future paper publications. Poster abstracts
WILL be included in the conference USB drive. Poster abstracts should
follow the general SIGGRAPH formatting guidelines
<http://www.siggraph.org/learn/instructions-authors>, except that they
should be 1 page long.

    Further details

All papers will be carefully reviewed by our International Program
Committee. SAP follows a double blind review process. Papers will be
evaluated as submitted, given limited time between submission and
printing of final versions. Under a recent agreement with the ACM
Transactions on Applied Perception <https://tap.acm.org/>(TAP) and the
ACM Publications Board, the strongest accepted papers will be offered
publication as full papers in the ACM journal TAP. Authors of such
special issue papers must agree to present the paper at ACM SAP. As has
always been the case, authors of regular ACM SAP papers can still submit
to TAP regular issues with appropriate additions. Papers that have been
recommended for acceptance in the ACM TAP journal will undergo a second
review cycle, during which the authors will revise the paper to address
reviewer concerns (similar to conditional acceptances at ACM SIGGRAPH).
Please note that TAP referrals are conditional. The TAP reviewers may
recommend bringing the paper back to the SAP proceedings if the quality
of the revision is inadequate. Therefore, it is very important to
incorporate as many reviewer comments as possible into the revision.

The revised paper has to be submitted in TAP format to Manuscript
Central <https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/acm>and must include a cover
letter stating that the submission is for the SAP special issue. The
cover letter should also document the list of changes made to the paper
to address the reviewer concerns. Reformatting an 8-page paper from the
SAP format to the TAP format typically adds a few pages so we expect the
final papers will have somewhere between 10-15 pages. TAP papers must
not exceed 20 pages in length. Complete TAP author guidelines and
templates are available at http://tap.acm.org/authors.cfm.

    Conference Organization

      Conference Chairs

  *

    Cindy Grimm <http://mime.oregonstate.edu/people/grimm>, Oregon State
    University

  *

    Pete Willemsen <http://www.d.umn.edu/%7Ewillemsn/>, University of
    Minnesota Duluth

      Program Chairs

  *

    Bernhard Riecke <http://ispace.iat.sfu.ca/riecke/>, Simon Fraser
    University

  *

    Joe Kearney <http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/%7Ekearney/>,
    University of Iowa

      Poster Chair:

  *

    Betsy Sanders <https://www.rhodes.edu/bio/sandersb>, Rhodes College

    Deadlines

        Papers:

  *

    Tuesday, April 3: Mandatory abstract submission

  *

    Tuesday, April 10: Paper submission deadline

  *

    Tuesday, May 15: Decisions announced

  *

    Tuesday, May 29: Final papers due

        Papers recommended for TAP

  *

    May 29: Camera-ready revisions to TAP recommended papers due (in TAP
    format)

  *

    June 15: Final review recommendations from second review cycle sent
    to TAP authors

  *

    June 26th: Final revisions due for papers selected for the  TAP
    Special Issue after second review process

        Posters:

  *

    Tuesday, May 29: Poster submission

  *

    Tuesday, June 5: Decisions announced

  *

    Tuesday, June 12: Camera ready version of 1-page abstract due

*

--
*Bernhard Riecke, PhD*
Associate Professor | School of Interactive Arts & Technology (SIAT)

Simon Fraser University Surrey | 250 - 13450 102 Avenue, Surrey, BC V3T
0A3, Canada
Office: 2759 (Podium 2) | iSpaceLab.com/Riecke
<http://www.iSpaceLab.com/Riecke> | SIAT homepage
<http://www.sfu.ca/siat/people/faculty/bernhard-riecke.html>
E-mail: ber1 at sfu.ca | phone: +1 778.782.8432 | skype: thebernie