[visionlist] Postdoc position available in the Luck Lab

Steven J Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Sat Apr 14 11:02:37 -05 2018

A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Steve Luck at the UC-Davis Center for Mind & Brain (http://lucklab.ucdavis.edu<http://lucklab.ucdavis.edu/>).  Both U.S. and international applicants are welcome. Multiple years of funding are possible. Our lab places great emphasis on postdoctoral training, and we have an excellent track record of placing our postdocs in faculty positions.

Approximately half of the research will focus on basic-science questions in the general area of visual cognition, using a combination of ERPs, psychophysics, eye tracking, and possibly fMRI.  The other half of the research will be focused on using basic science approaches to understand cognitive impairment in schizophrenia.  This will involve experimental design and data analysis, but the patients and control subjects are tested by our collaborators at the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center.

We are seeking an individual with an excellent background in the theories and methods of high-level vision science and cognitive psychology.  Experience with eye tracking and ERPs is not required; this will be an ideal position for someone who is interested in learning these methods or someone who already has experience but wants to become a world-class expert.  Experience with patient populations is also not required. However, good quantitative and programming skills are essential.

Translational research is becoming increasingly important, and NIH funding of basic science research on cognition is becoming increasingly dependent on the ability of investigators to show direct clinical relevance. This position will provide a recent PhD with an excellent opportunity to develop as a basic scientist while simultaneously obtaining experience in translating basic science theories and paradigms into clinical research.

Salary will depend on experience, with a minimum set by the University of California postdoc salary scale (which is higher than NIH scale). The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified. We are aiming for a start date between June 1, 2018 and September 30, 2018.

Davis is a vibrant college town in Northern California, located approximately 20 minutes from Sacramento, 75 minutes from San Francisco, 45 minutes from Napa, and 2 hours from Lake Tahoe.  The Center for Mind & Brain is an interdisciplinary research center devoted to cognitive science and cognitive neuroscience, located in a beautiful new building with state-of-the-art laboratories (see http://mindbrain.ucdavis.edu/).

To apply, send a cover letter describing your background and interests, a CV, and at least two letters of recommendation to Aaron Simmons (lucklab.manager at gmail.com<mailto:lucklab.manager at gmail.com>).

Steven J. Luck, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Mind & Brain
Distinguished Professor, Department of Psychology
University of California, Davis
Room 109
267 Cousteau Place
Davis, CA 95618
(530) 297-4424
E-Mail: sjluck at ucdavis.edu<mailto:sjluck at ucdavis.edu>
Web: http://mindbrain.ucdavis.edu/people/sjluck
Lab: http://lucklab.ucdavis.edu<http://lucklab.ucdavis.edu/>
Twitter: @stevenjluck<http://twitter.com/stevenjluck>
ERP Methodology Web: http://erpinfo.org<http://erpinfo.org/>
ERP Methodology Twitter: @erpbootcamp
<http://twitter.com/erpbootcamp>Calendar: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=stevenjluck%40gmail.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles<http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=stevenjluck@gmail.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles>