[visionlist] EEG/ERP training materials for Undergrads

Jane Couperus jwcCS at hampshire.edu
Tue Oct 30 15:23:17 -05 2018

PURSUE: Preparing Undergraduates for Research in STEM-related fields
Using Electrophysiology

Cindy Bukach, Jane Couperus, and Cathy Reed are currently part of an
NSF-sponsored collaborative grant to explore and design an
undergraduate-level cognitive electrophysiology course. Our PURSUE
project creates a variety of course materials with the goals:

1) To create a set of vetted Introduction to EEG/ERP materials that
include readings, lectures, in-class activities, simulations, and
animations that can be used in 3-day, 2- day, and 1-day courses

2) To create a vetted semester-long, modularly-designed course in
EEG/ERP at an undergraduate level with auxiliary materials as list above

3) To create materials to facilitate student training in the EEG/ERP
labs

4) To create a community of individuals who are interested in training
undergraduates both in the classroom and in the lab as well as provide a
forum for people to collaborate professionally and pedagogically

 We're currently writing an application for Phase 2 of the PURSUE grant
that will focus on the broad implementation, assessment, and revision of
the materials. We are interested in getting feedback from people from a
diverse set of institutions with the common need to train students
(particularly undergraduates) in EEG/ERP. We would like to hear your
thoughts via a brief survey:
https://claremontmckenna.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eVs40UySeIkDbPD
[1].

 The purpose of this survey is to determine the ways that undergraduates
are currently involved in EEG/ERP research, the nature of their
training, and the need for our materials. Specifically, we would like to
assess whether researchers/faculty might be interested in using and
evaluating our materials, as well as whether they might be interested in
participating in a faculty learning community with workshops to
facilitate course design and/or revision. Participating faculty will be
compensated for their efforts.

 Importantly, we want to identify potential participating faculty to
include in the Phase 2 grant submission due December 2018.

 Thanks so much for helping us determine what the community might want
for educating and training students.

Should you have any questions feel free to contact any one of us at
jwccs at hampshire.edu, cbukach at richmond.edu, or cathy.reed at cmc.edu.

 Best, Cindy, Jane and Cathy

--
Jane Couperus, PhD.